Coolant Temp Sensor

driver8013

A2OC Donor
Is there a step by step guide on how to change the Coolant Temp sensor?
Took the bonnet off and the cover, can't see anything that even looks similar, where will i find it and what tools or skill do you need?
Thanks

Posts 17 (pics) and 10 of this thread may help - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?3208-Temperature-gauge-woes&highlight=gauge+woes

The coolant temp sender is located in a small manifold on the back (gearbox end) of the cyl head. To take the picture I removed a metal pipe support bracket and pushed some hoses out of the way for clarity.

Another club member did the job recently, moaned like hell about the 'unclear' pics, eventually replaced the sensor but did nothing to improve the thread to help others.
Sorry for the rather big hint to take a few more pics and add some words for the installation procedure if you think they are needed. We have guys who would even use your info to produce a better 'how to' guide if its something you would like to be involved in.

Cheers Spike

I found this thread useful when I had to replace my sensor. The picture clearly shows the sensor position and the retaining clip coming up underneath.I did just add the red words. I can't understand anyone moaning about the pics as I see it clearly straightforward but I found it useful removing the bracket as Spike says and would say its really necessary. You will lose fluid so be prepared to top up afterwards with the pink stuff.
DSCF0549.JPG

Cheers

The picture clearly shows the sensor position and the retaining clip coming up underneath.I did just add the red words. View attachment 12620

Cheers

Thanks Nigel245, that's a great example of how to improve a guide. , The red arrows certainly make things clearer For those who are not quite sure what they are looking for

I'll collate the relevant posts on changing the temp sender and include your modified picture in a 'how to' guide for future reference. It won't be a 'step by step' procedure but should provide enough info on changing the sensor for most people.

Cheers Spike

Just to further clarify - that picture is looking at the side of the engine block from the off-side wing of the car. That's not what you see if you look down at the engine from the front radiator side.

If you do look down from the front of the engine bay, don't be side-tracked by the black 2-pin sensor you can see on the bottom right corner of the block; that's the fuel temperature sender, not the coolant temperature sender...

Dan,

I think you mean the near-side wing.....passenger side......left.....closest to the kerb in the UK.....

Cheers

Jeff

Thanks Nigel245, that's a great example of how to improve a guide. , The red arrows certainly make things clearer For those who are not quite sure what they are looking for

I'll collate the relevant posts on changing the temp sender and include your modified picture in a 'how to' guide for future reference. It won't be a 'step by step' procedure but should provide enough info on changing the sensor for most people.

Cheers Spike

Glad to help out a little. I wish I had taken photos when I replaced mine. I would say not a difficult job to do but just plain awkward especially if you drop the retaining clip:mad: But satisfying all the same replacing this sensor and isn't the main dealer price in the region of £75 or so?

Nigel

FOUND IT!!!!!!
Thanks for all the replies, the pic was a big help, it's quite easy to locate once the metal bracket had been removed. I gave the wires a wiggle and the light went out and has not been back on since, i'll change the sensor this week to be on the safe side. Thanks

FOUND IT!!!!!!
Thanks for all the replies, the pic was a big help, it's quite easy to locate once the metal bracket had been removed. I gave the wires a wiggle and the light went out and has not been back on since, i'll change the sensor this week to be on the safe side. Thanks

Thanks for the update.
After my rather grumpy opening mail I was worried that I had put you off the A2oc for life.
Personally I found the metal bracket seemed to do more harm than good so I left it off

Cheers Spike

I think it was me who 'moaned' about the unclear pictures. I did take pictures of my sensor as it was at the back of the engine behind some pipes but was unable to add them to the site. Life was easier with Windows XP....Win 8 I find illogical. Once found it was clear that the pics were of the sensor and I did apologise for claiming they were wrong. The above posts do show that there are still problems in finding the sensor...as with everything....... once you know its easy.

I only found my CTS by using a an old Sony 2mp camera with adjustable screen pushed between the pipes close to the bulkhead and using flash. As mine was already the later green sensor it almost lit up.
It is equally difficult to find the CTS on the B5.5 TDi Passat with replacement having to be done by feel only...... having first taken a picture .

Having a spare clip is a must even if you have your undertray removed as a dropped clip suddenly becomes invisible. A genuine VAG sensor/O-ring is also a more reliable option.

Back