Boot Lock/Latch Failed

FsiDan

A2OC Donor
Discovered this morning that my boot closes, but doesn't lock in place. I have cycled through the lock/unlock boot/unlock car on the key several times, and applied some WD40 to the mechanism, however I think it is goosed.

When using the key to unlock the boot, or opening the boot using the release, I can hear the solenoid actuating, however it doesn't actually open the boot. As such, and from what I read on here, I think the lock itself has gone and will need replacing.

As such, I've ordered the solenoid, lock and lock cover for tomorrow and will have a go at getting the boot trim off to do the job tomorrow night.

Any tips/tricks on getting the trim panel off? Don't want to break something myself as my car seems to do well at breaking itself without my help!

Hi the boot trim simply pulls off, just pull it away that's it! you could use a large flat bladed screw driver or the like, to prise it away if you have trouble.

Cheers
Sarge

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a photo of the inside of the boot with the trim removed you can see where the clips are located if your struggling but as Sarge says give it a good tug ;)

Attachments

• Tailgate with trim removed.jpg
    Tailgate with trim removed.jpg
    923.9 KB · Views: 311
All sorted. Solenoid, lock and plastic cap came to £49 and I fitted them in about half an hour. The trim, as per plenty of posts on here just needs a loss of inhibitions and a lot of wrenching!

Old thread but just wanted to say thanks for how to get the trim off, been out there all morning trying to not do damage.

"loss of inhibitions" is exactly what's needed.

Does anyone have the part numbers for both solenoid, lock and lock cover?

Thanks Jeff. Two locks gone in the last six months. Will give Stoke Audi a bell

Update to old post - same symptoms as OP, when closing the boot, the lock fails to latch/lock closed.
The electric release is still making noise.
When using a round probe to rotate the lock plate to the closed/locked position, it does not latch.

As we have freezing weather these days (in Norway) I was hoping the problem was related to poor maintenance instead of mechanical failure. I dosed the lock with penetrating fluid/spray and left it overnight. Same problem. Changed to WD-40 with thin extension nozzle, dosed it on L and R as best I could, then rotated the lock plate to the closed position and dosed it again (I could get the thin nozzle quite far up on both sides).
Then mechanically rotated the lock plate to the closed/locked position a couple of times and it latched.
And it opened with the electric release.
And latched properly when I closed the boot.
And it now seems to be working properly...

:cool:

Back