Cam Belt Change - Best Place North West?

Foghorn

Chaps - 2004 A2 is up for the cambelt and water pump change.

Previously I've been to Stoke and Staffs Audi. Anyone got any tips for a good price Manchester/North-West area. Whilst Audi dealers offer a 2yr warranty I do my own servicing etc so no need to tie myself in to a main dealer as long as someone has the right skills.

Any recommendations please

Thanks Chaps I'll give them a call. Although looking at their prices if they are +VAT not much difference than what Stoke Audi charged?

Thanks Chaps I'll give them a call. Although looking at their prices if they are +VAT not much difference than what Stoke Audi charged?

That's because their setup is very similar to a dealers. I've only used them a couple of times but the kind of cars they have on the ramps inspires confidence.

Just had a quote from VAG Technik in Eccles M'cr for £295 all in inclu water pump. Looks like this is the place I'll be going.

Reactions: dlp
I went to a dealer for mine. Had to complain when i found they hadn't screwed the expansion bottle cap on merely placed it on the bottle. I only looked after I thought the water level would need a top up. They did apologize and I insisted they inspect the work carried out. But it could have been disasterous!

>>Just had a quote from VAG Technik in Eccles M'cr for £295 all in inclu water pump<<

That is an excellent price. I was charged nearly twice as much six months ago.

Just back from cambelt and water pump change. A BIG thumbs up for VAG Technik in Eccles. All in price £295 (incl VAT). Had the car for a full day to do the work. I suppose I could have asked for the 5% new customer discount but at that price more than pleased.

Great service at a great price. http://www.vagtechnik.co.uk/

Yes, that price really is exceptional! I was quoted over £600 some time ago by Cheshire Oaks Audi, but had it done at Stoke for £340! I can't understand why there can be such a variation?

David

Because misguided people are willing to pay it.

A friend of mine paid his Honda over a grand for disc and pad replacement on his Civic. I think they saw him coming.

Excellent. I'll need mine doing (when I've picked it up), and I'd previously had quotes for £350 +vat and ~£350 all in.

I know Dave Walker at VAG Technik he's an ex Audi Manchester Master Tech and really good guy, my cambelt is due now at 120k, so I'll be giving him a call very soon.

I think my brakes need fixing first, fitted new ones last week but now making strange noises.

Last edited:
Just back from cambelt and water pump change. A BIG thumbs up for VAG Technik in Eccles. All in price £295 (incl VAT). Had the car for a full day to do the work. I suppose I could have asked for the 5% new customer discount but at that price more than pleased.

Great service at a great price. http://www.vagtechnik.co.uk/

I'm thinking of using them too, though have clarified that the special £295 all-in price unfortunately isn't using genuine Audi parts.

Not sure quite how much this matters.

If I wanted genuine parts - and the probably more reassuring 2 year [rather than 1] parts warranty that is redeemable, I believe, directly through Audi, not the garage - the inclusive price is still a very promising £359.

Am also considering Volksmasters [www.volksmasterltd.co.uk] in Oldham/Bury (who have given the same sort of of quote). Has anybody used them?

I imagined the price wouldn't be for genuine parts. I'd go for the £359 genuine parts.

The local place (Woolston) said ~£350, maybe less. Offered to send me an exact quote, that would be using Audi parts and changing water pump and pulley tensioner etc.

Just an update. I spoke to the local place, David Paul of Warrington, he informed the price he'd roughly quoted me was for non genuine parts, and genuine parts would probably be another £100.

I asked him to get back to me with exact prices, and mentioned the other places doing the job for less with original parts. That was Friday. Not heard a thing back from him, yet.

My little black beauty is booked in with VAG Technik this Saturday. Went for the £295 special offer after a brief chat with one of the guys there.

My little black beauty is booked in with VAG Technik this Saturday. Went for the £295 special offer after a brief chat with one of the guys there.

Well done! A little effort saved you a wad of cash! I wonder if these Dealers ever look at our site? I know that "Stoke Audi" are linked to us and do special offers. As I have said earlier, I saved nearly £300 by having my cambelt and water-pump done there! It was well worth "going the extra mile" LOL! Oh, a really great Guy in their stores ... "RICHARD PEACH" .... remember the name!

David

Back