Matte Black Emblems / Badges

Tritoch

So I decided to matte black my emblems and here are some pics in stages.

I used:

• Plasti Dip
  • Masking Tape (but I recommend you use painters tape NOT masking tape)
  • Newspaper
  • Toothpicks
  • Paper Towel

Tools:
20130801_102142.jpg

1st Coat:
20130801_102154.jpg 20130801_102716.jpg 20130801_103409.jpg

2nd Coat:
20130801_104502.jpg 20130801_104506.jpg 20130801_104511.jpg 20130801_104521.jpg

3rd Coat:
20130801_105229.jpg 20130801_105236.jpg 20130801_105244.jpg

4th Coat:
20130801_110935.jpg 20130801_110944.jpg 20130801_110955.jpg

I stopped at 4 coats, but I really really recommend you do at least 6. 7 is probably best. (just from experience it was a little harder to pull off the unwanted wrap than most people on youtube).

In future I will be doing 7 coats on everything I decide to PlastiDip.

Last edited:
Finished:
20130801_201922.jpg 20130801_201930.jpg 20130801_201954.jpg 20130801_201958.jpg 20130801_202010.jpg

2zz866p.jpg

I think it turned out great! Especially for someone who has no experience with painting etc. I just watched a lot of youtube videos as a result of searching for "PlastiDip Your Car".

Next up... Alloys, then the pop down glossy front emblem, then depending on how much is left whatever else will be ok to do :p

Last edited:
Not to my preference but do whatever floats your boat.
I would have taken the time to clean where the badges were on the bodywork before re-sticking them. It's a lot easier while they're off.
And I definitely would have prioritized new number plates..

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good i have been tempted in the past to do the same to the yellow storm as it would match the satin black roof and body parts. Be good to see it in the flesh at audis in the park show--can we tempt you ? cheers mike

Great thread

Personally I think it looks good.

The colour of your car helps the Matt black Stand out.

Well done

I would have taken the time to clean where the badges were on the bodywork before re-sticking them. It's a lot easier while they're off.

I don't think the badges were removed, their done in situ.

Cheers
Sarge

The badges weren't removed. Didn't need to do that at all. Just washed that particular area. Dried it. Microfiber cloth over the top and ready to go.

New number plates are a priority! Definitely. Haven't done it yet as am trying to find out how to fill in the number plate recess (fiberglass?) similar to:

4r2knn.jpg

Then I'd want the JAP plates as above.

So if anyone has any ideas as to how that chap managed to have his done (the cheaper the better - considering the car will be plasti-dipped), that would be great

Looks good i have been tempted in the past to do the same to the yellow storm as it would match the satin black roof and body parts. Be good to see it in the flesh at audis in the park show--can we tempt you ? cheers mike

Have been meaning to come but work keeps getting in the way and alas this year is no different. I'm working on the 11th so I can't make it :( but hopefully I will be at the next one once I've done everything I want to to my lovely A2 :)

Great thread

Personally I think it looks good.

The colour of your car helps the Matt black Stand out.

Well done

Thank You! I am contemplating matte-black-ing the whole car, but there's a few things I want to do first :)

I don't think the badges were removed, their done in situ.

Cheers
Sarge

Spot on Sarge! No removal of badges involved :)

I'm impressed with your ideas! I too like to do interesting mods ..... nice to know that I'm not alone! LOL! I've gone the opposite route to yourself .... chrome everywhere! ( under the rear hatch, around the headlights, around both front and rear number-plates, around the lower front grill) Both front and rear Audi badges illuminate. I am just about to modify my headlights to include not only DRL's but additional indicators, too! I will retain the sidelights, as well. I will follow your ideas with interest

David

Next up... Alloys, then the pop down glossy front emblem, then depending on how much is left whatever else will be ok to do :p

The plates, my God get some new ones! :p Get some pressed ones, they look great. Bought mine off a chap on eBay who makes them to order, to the right legal standard. Nice job with the plastidip, personally prefer to debadge apart from the four rings.

Cheers

Last edited:
... Get some pressed ones, they look great. ...

They certainly look good, but what is the legal situation with embossed plates, are they OK? (I got stung once a few years ago with an 'illegal font' plate which was already on a car that I'd bought, so I'm a bit paranoid about it now).

--- edit:

Sounds like they are legal, but you might keep getting pulled & ticketed by (non-traffic) police who don't understand the rules

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?f=10&t=612135

Last edited:
I like that and already have some plasti-dip for my insignias front grill (way to much chrome) and on a yellow storm should look good.

Great job chap.

We replaced our number plates last year as we were planning on selling and it is amazing how they make the car looks years younger.....weird for such a small thing but there you go :)

It looks pretty nice on a light colour car. I wouldn't do it for my very dark blue A2 though. For a colour storm, i think it will look great!

what is the legal situation with embossed plates, are they OK? (I got stung once a few years ago with an 'illegal font' plate which was already on a car that I'd bought, so I'm a bit paranoid about it now).
Sounds like they are legal, but you might keep getting pulled & ticketed by (non-traffic) police who don't understand the rules

I have legel pressed plates on mine, I think they look great and they are a lot more durable than the standard plastic ones.

I got mine in person at Regal Autosport and they guaranteed them to be legal.
They use: http://www.dubmeister.co.uk/webshop/uk-legal-pressed-metal-plates/uk-legal-plates/

They are quite subtle but they have to be in order for them be legal. They have to use the exact same font as standard plates, also they must have all the typical numbers etc around the edges of the plates.

You can see them on my car in my photo album if you're interested.

I've been running them for around 10 months and I've drawn no attention to police. The A2 in general doesn't attract must attention from the police anyway, so that helps.

Jon

I'm impressed with your ideas! I too like to do interesting mods ..... nice to know that I'm not alone! LOL! I've gone the opposite route to yourself .... chrome everywhere! ( under the rear hatch, around the headlights, around both front and rear number-plates, around the lower front grill) Both front and rear Audi badges illuminate. I am just about to modify my headlights to include not only DRL's but additional indicators, too! I will retain the sidelights, as well. I will follow your ideas with interest

David

On a light coloured car, I think the dark detailing looks better and vice versa on a dark car. Although when I matte black the beast, I'll be creating a stealthy look. Interested in the illuminated badges ! Need to check those out :) I'm planning on changing all of my bulbs for LED clusters but I'm not sure I'd ever take apart my headlights. I'm hoping to buy something like this... And change ALL of my lights for LEDs. If only I knew which ones I need. I'll probably be asking for some advice on the subject next pay day :) I've seen the DRL/Indicators and I may be changing to those soon. I already installed DRLs with a relay so that when I turn my lights on my DRL's go off, but they're not as bright as I'd hoped so next step is to find some super bright DRLs which are around the same dimensions so I can take the old ones out, and pop these straight in :)

The plates, my God get some new ones! :p Get some pressed ones, they look great. Bought mine off a chap on eBay who makes them to order, to the right legal standard. Nice job with the plastidip, personally prefer to debadge apart from the four rings.

Cheers

Plates are DEFINITELY on my todo list but I'm pondering modifying the front bumper / rear boot to smooth out the number plate recesses and put JAP plates on the car.

I'm not sure about pressed ones. That's a classic look on a not too classic car. I have been looking at gel plates instead. Something along the lines of

3dbadgeresinblack.jpg

I am interested in debadging, and would really like to know how easy it is. Is the sticky pad holding the badge on easy to remove? Will I see a difference in paintwork considering the paint under the badge is well protected? Just things like that I need to know before going down that route.

I like that and already have some plasti-dip for my insignias front grill (way to much chrome) and on a yellow storm should look good.

Great job chap.

We replaced our number plates last year as we were planning on selling and it is amazing how they make the car looks years younger.....weird for such a small thing but there you go :)

Thank you good sir! Definitely would look superb on your yellow storm. I've found it looks GREAT on light coloured cars :) Please post some pics once you've done so :)

Yeah I keep getting told by everybody to change the plates. The only reason I've held off up until now is I was planning to mod the bumper and rear boot lid a bit :p

I may just give in to everyone and get it done anyway. Shouldn't be more than £20 for the pair I think.

It looks pretty nice on a light colour car. I wouldn't do it for my very dark blue A2 though. For a colour storm, i think it will look great!

That is true but you can get plastidip in various colours! What about white plasti dip if that's something that you'd fancy? Something like

P1020201.jpg

I think that looks fantastic!

My mistake, I see what you've done now.
Still need to clean around the top of that 'A' though!

You're 100% right! Am pondering over debadging the A2 and 1.4 so I'll definitely give it a good clean if I do :) (and probably will even if I don't)! Thanks!

I have always been tempted by the matt black rings but also tempted with debaging but then again I like it the way it is lol.

If you look on the spotted section of the forum I put a post up regarding a matt black A2 for sale .

I already installed DRLs with a relay so that when I turn my lights on my DRL's go off/QUOTE]

There should be no need for a relay .... There is a pin on the main light-switch (I think it is marked "TFL") It is there specifically for DRL's .... when your main lights are off, it is live. When the main lights are on, there is no feed. That is what I have used. I had to fit a pin into the switch, though ....

David

I already installed DRLs with a relay so that when I turn my lights on my DRL's go off

There should be no need for a relay .... There is a pin on the main light-switch (I think it is marked "TFL") It is there specifically for DRL's .... when your main lights are off, it is live. When the main lights are on, there is no feed. That is what I have used. I had to fit a pin into the switch, though ....

David

Oh excellent! Didn't know that. I will be replacing them soon as 3 of the LEDs on the driver side DRL have given up the ghost. So will be looking for something with the same dimensions.

I'll take out the relay and use the TFL point. Thanks for that Dave :)

I am seriously tempted to plasti dip my A2 badge and Audi ring in gold , I think it would suit. Does anyone know if it will be a gloss finish of matt ? And do you think it will suit my silver A2 ?

Back