Moment of madness!

DST

A2OC Donor
Having spent most of the summer at work (on overtime) unable to take advantage of the glorious weather, I had a moment of madness! A quick trip out for lunch turned into a nightmare. Knowing full and well that in the heat the rubber seals around the Open Sky System tend to soften and become glue like, I decided for some reason on this particular day that I wanted the roof open. The rest is history like my OSS. The motor strained to open the roof even with a helping hand, when it finally opened my persistence had backfired. The motor was still working and moved the roof backwards and forwards however the uneven travel signalled to me that I had just gone from open sky to broken sky. When buying my A2 one of my must haves was a fully functioning OSS and with my 'mad dogs and englishmen' attitude it's now broken.

I miss my open sky working on so many levels, I'll just have to knuckle down at work and give Worthing Audi a call to see whats possible.

Derek

Last edited:
Is your car under 10 years old and do you have a full service history? Fingers crossed. ..

Hi Dan,

No on both counts, I don't have a full Audi service history and i've hit the 10 year mark as the 1.6 FSi is on an 03 plate.

It's taken me a week or so to come to terms with it, so now to brighten my summer a little I think I'll try to push on with my RNS-e project.

Regards,

Derek

All is not lost I remember reading on here a few weeks back about a chap whose local mechanic fixed his Broken Sky...

RNS-E is a good mod. I did it with the Mk2 unit. Do you have a double DIN dash?

I think I remember reading that thread...
Guess there's still hope it can be fixed at a reasonable price, do you know which garage he went to for the repair?

I have the double din aluminium frame and RNS-E head unit just waiting for my bluetooth to arrive before moving forward with the installation.

Cheers.

Derek

Have you read my thread about the dash mod and rns retrofit?
Which bluetooth module have you bought?

I think it goes on registration date, 03 would go up to 31st August, so there's a slim chance it might sneak in.

I think it goes on registration date, 03 would go up to 31st August, so there's a slim chance it might sneak in.

No, it goes on manufacture date. Not registration as its Audi manufacturing that pays for the roof, not audi UK..

I know, I was 4 days too late......

J

:(

You have my commiserations, that really sucks.
I'd like to thank you for the info though as I didn't realise the seals soften when hot etc.
I will now really consider the temperature before attempting to open up mine.
Hope you sort it out or at least get your RNS-E in with little drama.
Thanks, Jon

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the info, I'll follow that link and see what's possible.

Not sure if you remember, I contributed to your 'Single-to double-DIN dash with Mk2 RNS-E conversion' thread.
In the end I went for an OEM unit, which I have just ordered from Spain.

Happy to help with some info hopefully it may stop another member from making a similar error of judgement.
Thanks for your commiseration's Jon.

Cheers,

Derek

Last edited:
Back