Schraubertreffen in Finland - Uusimaa, Päijät- / Kanta-Häme, Pirkanmaa

bretti_kivi

Hi,

a tradition from the Germans which I very much appreciate is the "Schraubertreffen". The idea is simple: you get together as a group, do what you need to do with the cars, and then maybe do a barbie, go for a drink - the point is that generally, someone's "done it before", probably following instructions, and a lot of stuff is faster with four hands rather than two.

So, to bring this into the English language domain, I'm going to ask if there's anyone else here from southern Finland - define it yourself - that has interest in a meet. I need to change my oil as a matter of urgency now, but I want to take a look with Lasse at his car from the bottom, there's some ARB bushes to be replaced etc. I don't know where this would be, probably either here in Lahti, in Helsinki or maybe over towards Tampere, but I figured I could ask if someone else is interested in meeting up to do some work. I already have VAG-COM, so that's easy. If there's only the two of us, then it's really simple and we'll do my bushes and check over his car on a ramp.

Do rental car workshops even exist in the UK? Access to a ramp for a couple of hours for some cash?

- Bret

It is a shame you are not in Lapland. It is always nice to go across the border.
Which oil are you using? I noticed the oil in Neste seems cheap (vs Norway) and meets the VW507.00 specification and promises improved low temperature performance.
I got a 4l can in Finland for less than 2l here.
I think Helsinki is a bit too far but I intend to drive to Helsinki at some point.

Decent helix which meets the longlife spec is around €45 or so at motonet. Next time I'm even remotely close, I'll let you know - I think I'm in Oulu in October, which is a 500km / 5.5 hour drive from here. But that's still 750km one-way to Tromsö. Wow. Still, at Lapland speeds, that's a) a 10 hour trip and b) one tank :)

- Bret

Hi Bret,

To my knowledge, rental workshops don't exist in the UK, but I'd like to be wrong.

I spoke to Andre at AitP about this kind of social; a 'spanners social'. Everyone gets together, with tools, and you all share expertise.
So far, this club does do such things, but on a private, small-scale basis. I'm not sure how practical it'd be, but making an open event is an idea I quite like.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Bret,

To my knowledge, rental workshops don't exist in the UK, but I'd like to be wrong.

I saw an ad somewhere within the last few months that someone had opened a fully stocked garage and hired out lifts and tools by the hour. I don't remember the details exactly; I may have read it in Evo mag or something. Will report back if I find it.

Cheers

Sounds like a great idea, amd if someone in the Yorkshire are fancies this then count me in.

there you go, up noorth where the houses are the right colour, men are men, pork pies come with mushy peas and beer has froth on the top. £70 for a day in Halifax sounds pretty good to me. I'm at €30 per hour (!!!).

- Bret

(I went to Uni in Huddersfield, so I understand at least a little about the area)

Last edited:
I am keen to drive long enough into Finland to find a Hesburger. The nearest from here is about a 5.5-6 hour drive.
Halfords used to rent out workshops some time ago. I think the difficulty relates to the insurance.

Back