Handbrake button

Hooley

A2OC Donor
Is it possible to order one of these from a dealer?
If so anyone know how much?

It's the only thing letting down my interior

Thanks
J

Hi Jason,

I'm assuming it's the chrome button for releasing the handbrake you're looking for?
If it is, it's available, but I can't remember the cost - however £14 seems to be ringing some bells (but so is £3)!

If nobody else finds a price or part number, I'll post the info tomorrow afternoon.

Cheers

Jeff

Hi Jason,

I'm assuming it's the chrome button for releasing the handbrake you're looking for?
If it is, it's available, but I can't remember the cost - however £14 seems to be ringing some bells (but so is £3)!

If nobody else finds a price or part number, I'll post the info tomorrow afternoon.

Cheers

Jeff

Yes, that's what I'm after
Thanks
J

The button costs around £12 for the bright or matt aluminium finish and £4 for soul black.

Cheers Spike

Partnumber
8Z0711333A 1K5 for the matt alu one.

Thesre are several variants for different colours.
Should cost <£15.

you will feel happy when its done but not whilst you are fiddling around trying to pull the handbrake grip off, allow some time to do it ...

First, remove the leather handle. This is a job of seconds...
Take a credit card and push it upwards from beneath into the gap between the base of the handle and the silver ring. This will release the retention clip and the handle will simply slide off, over the top of the silver button. Once you've done that, you'll see how to release the silver button itself.

Cheers,

Tom

I'm well versed in handbrake removal, as my entire interior has been out several times..

Handbrake usually takes about 3 seconds now

J

I'd really like for my handbrake to actually work properly for a period of months without needing re-adjustment or the drums to be stripped down.

... but not whilst you are fiddling around trying to pull the handbrake grip off, allow some time to do it ...

My handbrake grip is very willing to slide off, usually once or twice in a journey I have to push it back into place... judging from your post I would say that mine is not secured properly!!

Is there any way to secure it in place?

Is there any way to secure it in place?

Hi Mike,

Chances are that the little plastic retention clips have been broken. If this is the case, your only options are to buy a new handle or or to use a small dab of araldite to secure the handle onto the handbrake's main trim. The later solution is highly inelegant as far as I'm concerned as it means the handbrake trim (and thus the rest of the interior) can't be removed with ease.

The handbrake grip's design was updated in ~2004, replacing the plastic clips with a metal one. The main trim also needs to be replaced as part of the update, though.

Cheers,

Tom

The metal button on mine was a bit tatty, but I tidied it up with a bit of wet and dry and some elbow grease and metal polish, looks almost new now.
If yours isn't too bad, give it a go. Then again a new one is pretty cheap.

The metal button on mine was a bit tatty, but I tidied it up with a bit of wet and dry and some elbow grease and metal polish, looks almost new now.

I've got a spare button (of course! LOL) ... I'm going to give it a go! What about an answer to my question "Is there not a version in shiny chrome?" Thanks ...

David

Yes, I'm still waiting for an answer to that question, "is there not a version in shiny chrome?" ( and it's not quite 2 years, yet) LOL! I wonder if anyone has a part number?

David

Back