Number plate light corroded screw replacement.

chb

Finally got round to replacing the number plate light screws on both my A2's.
My suggestion is that everyone should do this as soon as possible if the old screws are still removable.

I found these screws in Halfords are a perfect fit:

1d116071bffd8809c6faaf39a7b5df93.jpg

If the old screw shear off then its a fairly big job to remove boot trim and fit complete new number plate housings. So if you still have "old" screws and can get them out intact then do so before the made in italy crud screws rust to the point of destruction.

Screws through a number plate look ugly and crude. I never use them and that is my first job on any car that I have owned. I always fit a backing plate, either chrome or stainless steel. Then I fix the number plate to it using the correct, double-sided tape (it is very thin) What are you left with? Well, a plate that is easily cleaned, a plate that has its edges protected, and finally, something that "looks the business!" As I have commented before, you can see these £20,000 - £30,000 cars and what do they have on them? A plain, rectangular lump of plastic, front and rear ... Ugh! Use those fancy screws to fasten a surround in place!

David

Yes, this is for the lights, not the actual number plate.
The screws are a known weakness on the A2. The housings are made in italy and the spec on the screws is very poor. They only screw into plastic, yet rot away to nothing. I managed to get all four screws (two per fitting) out on FSI1 for MOT, but on FSI2 (the new to me one!) the screws sheared off, so I have ordered new fittings from Stoke Audi. So IF you can get out the old screws in one piece then replacing them while you can with £3 worth of overprice halfords ones is a big saving on both new fittings and time taken to dismantle the boot to get to the light assembly. Phew!

David (or anyone!) at the risk of hijacking my own thread, can you recommend somewhere that does good quality sensibly priced numberplates and surrounds. All three of my cars (2xA2 and XC90)are looking a bit shabby. I ordered a plate from Ebay last year and it looks like it was inkjet printed, the letters are not very opaque and crisp. Please post links to your fave suppliers. Ta!

David, he's talking about using them in the number plate lights, not the number plates.

Jon

Doh! ANOTHER error! "chb" .... look at this recent thread, in "modifications" :- "Pressed Number plates and S Line badges have arrived" 13/08/2013, by "Trioch" Should give you some ideas ...

David

Chb thanks for starting this thread as I managed to get myself down to Halfords and purchase those same screws, my old ones were on the brink of rusting into the boot lid. I managed to get them out without them breaking and the refit of new screws went in perfect.

:cool:

Reactions: chb
The screws are fairly easy to drill (if you are careful) should the head break. It is much easier than disassembling the boot. The screw screws into plastic and so is fairly safe to drill. The number plate light unit can be replaced entirely from the outside of the car.

Sojah, glad to have helped. I always saw lots of threads saying "replace with stainless screws" but it was never mentioned what size screw to use.
The halfords HFX580 pack is 3.5mm x 13mm screws and they are the perfect size.

Back