New OSRAM DRL

John L

A2OC Donor
OSRAM now make a DRL/fog light all in one unit that would replace many existing systems.
Would this fit in the fog light mounts in an A2?

http://www.osram.com/media/resource/hires/345125/led-fog-and-daytime-running-light-kit-ledfog101---installation-manual.pdf

They are pricy but being OSRAM may actually perform better than the original fog light and as a DRL should work well and last well.

Presumably any wire splicing for DRL installs would be problematic in a car with the bulb monitoring system installed?

Also as a work around for a new headlight switch (for those of us without fog lights) would this system for the MK4 Golf work?
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/VW-AUTO-HEAD-LIGHT-SENSOR-AND-SWITCH-FOR-GOLF4-NEW-BORA-POLO-LAVIDA/684927137.html?tracelog=back_to_detail_a&PID=6149378&cv=11032041&cn=null&tp1=pi9023d36qtx&tracelog=null&src=ale&URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aliexpress.com%2Fitem%2FVW-AUTO-HEAD-LIGHT-SENSOR-AND-SWITCH-FOR-GOLF4-NEW-BORA-POLO-LAVIDA%2F684927137.html%3Ftracelog%3Dback_to_detail_a&af=cj_6149378&vd=30

I am still thinking away all my money here....

John

I'm no help regarding your question I'm afraid, but I like the look of them. Clever idea to retrofit DRL's and even fogs if you don't have them.

How pricey are they?

They are £330 inc vat with 5 year guarantee and some kind of weather proof impact proof lenses.
I saw some of the older rectangular LED lights from OSRAM and they looked really good and had decent lenses so you did not see the individual LEDs.

They are £330 inc vat with 5 year guarantee and some kind of weather proof impact proof lenses.
I saw some of the older rectangular LED lights from OSRAM and they looked really good and had decent lenses so you did not see the individual LEDs.

WHAT !!!! That's a lot of Dosh! Are they gold plated? LOL! Anyway, regardless of the actual diameter, you could adjust the fog grills to suit, IMHO. Just a bit of "Dremmeling" (or packing) That pin location is there, on the back of the light switch, marked "TFL" There is no actual pin in there, though .... you would have to fit one. Routing the wire to the front is awkward, too ... The ultimate in DRL's is "Craigyb's" The actual DRL's came from a Q5 .... maybe it might be possibe to obtain those (from a breakers?) for less than that £330? He's definitely got the best, there!

David

Q7, not Q5 and chances of finding a wrecked Q7 V12 with intact DRL's in the UK. They were only ever fitted to the V12 6.0 TDi.

These lights are both fog lights and DRL's they do both and so with a car lacking fog lights and having read the numerous threads on how useless the oem fog lights are these are an option I am vaguely considering (when I find some more cash...)
On a related issue; does anybody have/can take a photo of their headlight wiring in the fusebox/relay panel?
My car has redone Scandinavian headlights (DRL pin on for dipped headlights). The issue is even when this pin is cut the parking lights remain on. So I would love a photo of an original relay panel to use together with the wiring diagrams to de-Nordic my lights. For example re-enabling the parking light on one side for when the car is parked on the roadside in the dark.

The mounting brackets for the fog lights are installed on my car but it has no fog lights and so having fog lights, functioning parking lights & DRL would be nice.

John

it has no fog lights and so having fog lights, functioning parking lights & DRL would be nice.

John

Well I can see that in your case, the cost is then not so bad .... you will get both! I tested the output from that (TFL) pin. When you turned the light-switch to the right, then power was lost from that pin. i.e., any "DRL's" should not conflict with Night-running lighting. If you currently have no fog-lights fitted, then you should have blank fog-light covers? If that is indeed the case, then that would be ideal for the fitting of these units that you are interested in? You could simply cut an opening in the blanks to give a perfect fit!

David

The problem I currently have is that daylight dipped beam is/was mandatory in Norway and so they have rewired the lighting.
The TFL pin makes the headlights come on but even when the pin is removed the parking lights remain on. The problem is that by doing this the selective parking light's (left or right as required) does not work. There is nothing in ELSA-WIN in the circuit diagrams to show what changes were made to cars when they were imported to Norway. I have asked the dealers and they do not have any notes as to what was done or a modification sheet or such.

I think the OSRAM lights together with an inspection/return to normal of the rest of the lighting connections. I guess it would also be good to disconnect the tail lights from being always on as this is no longer required by ECE87.

John

Ooh these look interesting.
What would the A2 look like with these installed? Obviously not Audi-style OEM but do they suit I wonder?

Yes, they do look "cool", but that's a "cool" price, too! I'd like to see the dimensions .... a chrome ring around them would suit my car!

David

I would prefer a group buy too! Having said that one of the stockists powerbulbs offer 10.1% cashback with Topcashback (no ties to either).
I wonder if they would work better as fog lights than the original Audi part?

I would prefer a group buy too! Having said that one of the stockists powerbulbs offer 10.1% cashback with Topcashback (no ties to either).
I wonder if they would work better as fog lights than the original Audi part?
Doubt they'd be any worse?!

Seeing all the positive(!) comments on the original fog lights is what made this Osram system so interesting.
I also think the light pattern is more modern and looks better than many of the other DRL's such as the 4 or 8 LED Philips ones.

These units are very close to being a perfect fit in place of the A2 fogs ... The opening in the grill is ~ 95mm, whereas the Osrams have a lens diameter of 90mm It would be very easy to pack around the opening with a slit, rubber tube! That would even improve sealing from water ingress ... I think that these units would definitely look very classy! - and without being "brash"! Front illuminated Audi badge? LOL! It looks like I'll never get round to completing that headlight modification project .... With the Osram's, it is just their high cost ..... it would have to be in the £200's for me to consider this? Easy mod, though ... my DRL feed is already there at the front of the car!

David

Back