Driver door micro switch?

Paxo

Hi, I think my driver door micro switch has gone. I think it was intermittent for a while
Symptoms
- DIS doesn't show driver door open
- instruments/courtesy lights don't light up when driver door open
- car re-locks even if driver door is open
- fuel filler button doesn't work

The last is a pain as I just found out at petrol station!

I've tried the WD-40 squirt trick, no joy

Does my diagnosis sound right?
Any guide to replacing the driver door one? I've found a rear door guide but not a front. I might get Audi to do it, might not

I've had a nightmare the last two months:- limp mode caused by broken wire to the MAP sensor; new EGR valve; new starter motor; brakes; 2 new tyres; A fortune. Also funny squeak/chirp from rear left door sill or thereabouts. Pants. 85k miles, TDI 90 I've had from new. Still a nice car, but still...

long time lurker, first time poster

Thanks in advance

If you have a socket set with torx bits then removing the door lock (which contains the door closed switch) is a simple matter.
Might be easier just to bolt in a second hand lock from a breaker car.

Hi paxo. I can confirm its the door microswitch. I had the same problem. Use the rear door guide as i did. Its very similar as you get going.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, from everything you describe, it's clear that your driver's door microswitch has died. Replacing it is not an entirely straightforward process, as you'll have to completely dismantle the door. The lock (which contains the microswitch as an integrated part) cannot be removed without first getting the window frame out of your way. You'll need a set of Torx bits as well as an XZN M8 bit. Reassembly is made somewhat more difficult by having to ensure that the window frame is correctly realigned, for which there is a correct tightening sequence.

There is a guide to replacing a rear lock on the forum somewhere. Replacing the driver's door lock is very similar, though has a few extra stages due to the key cylinder by the door handle.

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:
Thanks guys, wonderful responses. Sounds like it's a bit beyond me with the window glass and whatnot. I would have a go if I still had a nice warm garage and plenty of time but doing it on the drive in November, not keen.

Is this something a (pretty good) local garage could do, or does it need to go to the Audi Mothership for the best result?? I would assume the procedure for the A2 is not much different from other VAG cars with which experienced local bloke should be familiar?? Sounds like a common VAG problem.

Thanks again

I had a fiddle, a useful diagnostic I learned on a VW forum.... you can hear the microswitches clicking. On the A2 the microswitch clicks as the latch moves to its "closed" position. Hold the outer door handle open & move the latch through its last few millimetres of movement with a screwdriver. On 3 doors I can hear a distinct "click" from the microswitch as the DIS door warning goes out. On the driver's door... no click & no DIS. So hopefully a new lock will fix it.

Just back from my local garage, all fixed. The tech said he did not need to remove the door frame. He said the rear door guide I printed out for him was way over-complicated. The whole job only took him an hour. He used silicone to re-seal the metal panel to the door itself. Car stinks of silicone! I bought a pack of the plastic door clips off ebay and gave them to him, he replaced them all:- http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400438202958.

He charged £73 for the lock & 1 hour's labour plus VAT. I don't know the exact total, there's an MOT and a new brake caliper on the bill as well. Plus £4.95 for the new door clips.

Reactions: chb
I posted the rear lock thread and it does seem over complicated but i posted it in a way that a complete novice could do this job and even with taking the photos it only took me 45 mins and i found the front door easier. Glad your sorted now

Phil

I certainly didn't mean to criticise your thread, sorry if it came over that way. Just giving feedback from the mechanic. Will use your guide again when I attack the buzz from my rear door.... when weather warms up?! cheers

I certainly didn't mean to criticise your thread, sorry if it came over that way. Just giving feedback from the mechanic. Will use your guide again when I attack the buzz from my rear door.... when weather warms up?! cheers

Thats ok that tread is for a mechanic like trying to teach him how to suck eggs most of it would be second nature for him. I removed the window frame to make life a hole lot easier as its only 4 screws to remove

Phil

I'm doing this right now, can't see any way to get it out without removing the window frame.

I had @timmus do mine on one of his A2 Clinics held @Ami unit . He resoldered the dry joints on the switch so not expensive, no replacement switch to buy. It was a great way to spend an afternoon too ... rather than me cursing and swearing when it all goes wrong, instead having a great stress free laugh and chat with some real A2 experts about cars and life .... Recommended

I had @timmus do mine on one of his A2 Clinics held @Ami unit . He resoldered the dry joints on the switch so not expensive, no replacement switch to buy. It was a great way to spend an afternoon too ... rather than me cursing and swearing when it all goes wrong, instead having a great stress free laugh and chat with some real A2 experts about cars and life .... Recommended
Job looks easy enough, just a little patience needed...

I enjoyed the cake you brought while chatting about A2,s too ;)

Back