Camber adjustment how to?

Hi I have fitted coilovers awhile back (no camber plates) and now after some time the camber is awful all four corners are different. I would like to know if this is correctable without camber plates? I know you can buy camber bolts or is there another way? Thanks

Hi Josh. Sorry you are having camber issues with your A2 on coilovers. There's limited knowledge about these on the forum as few people use them, and I note you were advised against fitting them:

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthrea...er-options-(new-A2-owner)&p=179027#post179027

but it's your car and you pays your money etc..... :D

Maybe one of our tech guys can advise to the contrary, but I'm not confident that your snookered with the tyres being scrubbed. I recall some advise from one of our 'gurus' in the past that this was a pretty guaranteed symptom when you lower an A2 markedly.

Hope you get is sorted. Good luck.

Hi I have fitted coilovers awhile back (no camber plates) and now after some time the camber is awful all four corners are different. I would like to know if this is correctable without camber plates? I know you can buy camber bolts or is there another way? Thanks

HI,

If all 4 corners are different then it sounds like the suspension was not fitted properly.

The camber was correct before and now you have fitted alternative suspension so all 4 corners should still be the same (different camber to the original perhaps, but the same side for side anyway, not different on each side)

The new parts would be identical (side for side) and so should be the same on each side after fitting.

Unless my logic is wrong? (often is)

Steve B

The A2 has no camber adjustment - front or rear.
You can adjust the front camber slightly by loosening up the subframe and "shifting it sideways to force a camber adjustment. If you have fitted coil-overs, my suggestion would be to fit camber plates to the top mounts to give you some adjustment. The rear axle can similarly be adjusted but the scope is not large at all.

Hope this helps

blue skies
tony

Just adding to Tony's comments, movement of the subframe allows the camber to be 'equalised' side to side. It does not allow for individual wheel adjustment.
Unlike many VW / Audi cars, the bottom fixing for the A2 front struts is a split clamp arrangement so the use of eccentric lower mounting bolts is not possible.
I've not come across adjustable strut top mounts before so was interested to see how they work. There is some rubbish out there but I quite like the look of the KW ones. Unfortunately they are approx. £400 a pair (as they say in Yorkshire......HOW MUCH ?????)

Cheers Spike

I really can't see how all four can niw have different cambers. It surely must have the same camber on both rea wheels. The front may be different to the rear but they too should be the same either side.

So to me if this is not the case then something else is wrong here.

Steve B

Hi.
If you have fitted coilovers, you have the advantage (and disadvantage) of fully adjustable ride height. There is so much scope to getting the set up wrong, and a tiny window of getting it right. If its right, and your camber is not adjustable, then your tyres should wear equally as bad as each other.

To set up coil over suspension requires proper equipment. You start by measuring corner weights and ride height, then adjust from there, remembering to keep the vehicles original 'ramp angle' (angle of attack). If you don't keep the ramp angle then your cars aero will suffer. For example, it will be unstable at high speed and worse on fuel economy because of increased drag. The aim is to have equal weight across the front axle, and equal weight across the rear axle, with equal ride heights across the front axle and equal ride heights across the rear axle, again while keeping the ramp angle. It is very tricky to get it right, even with the right equipment.
I suggest, taking it to a race team who do these specific set up's. they may laugh at you, but tell the boss your willing to pay money and they will do it.

However, with your camber non adjustable, you will still suffer with tyres wearing the inside edge.

Hope this hasn't killed the coilover community.

Back