Adding OEM rear Speakers.

wassap

A2OC Donor
Hi Folks,

A member on here has asked for some assistance in adding some rear speakers.

Car in question doesnt have rears fitted as std, but my breaker does, so i was wondering what looms i will need to remove to add the rears. Door looms, yes, but how about the rest, im guessing there is a loom from the rear of the radio, which goes to the tiddly blaupunkt amp in the footwell, and then from there to the doors?

Oh my breaker came with the a CD player and the gents motor comes with a cassette unit, if that helps :)

Does anyone have the answer to this one as I have the same problem. Rear speakers, and with under-floor amp but no looms from amp etc.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, folks! :)

In order to add a set of rear speakers, you need to replace the rear door looms. This involves dismantling the rear doors almost completely, including taking the rear window frames out. So, if you're going to attempt this, be sure that you're aware of the realignment procedure when bolting the frames back into place.

In order to replace the rear door looms, you'll need to separate the connectors that go through the B-pillar. Be aware that this connector type changed during the A2's production run (between 2001MY and 2002MY), so the replacement looms must be of the same type. Also be aware that, in the later-style connector, the pin arrangement changed a few times between 2002 and 2005. This problem is easily remedied as long as you've got a set of terminal extraction tools.

You've then got to do the wiring on the inside of the car. You'll need to add the necessary pins to the inside half of the B-pillar connectors and run these into the driver's foot well, where you've mounted the Blaupunkt amp. The Blaupunkt amp will require a supply from the fuse box (Fuse 2 if my memory is to be believed) as well as a connection to earth. You'll then need to run 4 wires from the head unit to the amp: signal left, signal right, common earth and switched 12V. All these wires need to be pinned into a large black connector that fits into the Blaupunkt amp. Needless to say, you've got to be comfortable removing/refitting a fair bit of the interior.

The stereo will then need to be coded correctly, so VCDS is necessary.

If you're pulling the necessary parts from a breaker, life gets a little easier, but not much. You'll need a set of terminal extraction tools in order to free the loom from the miniISO connector behind the head unit. The loom's branches to the fuse box, earth and the rear speakers will need to be cut and then extended for re-installation into the recipient vehicle.

I've done this upgrade numerous times. I've also currently got a kit of necessary parts. So, if anybody wants this doing but thinks it might be a step too far for them, I'm happy to oblige.

Cheers,

Tom

I'm hijacking the thread a little here, but it's also about rear speakers. I have a 2001 A2 with a single din aftermarket stereo. The aftermarket stereo has an amplifyer that can drive rear speakers. So in my case it's running cabels and speakers to get it going. I know that the cabels are quite a lot of work. Is there enough space to run the cables along the door loom? We're not talking thick cabels here, I don't belive in expensive copper. My surrond at home is run with 0.75cm2 lamp cabels, sounds great.

Hi Tom, I was hoping that you would provide an answer to this thread which I may be both directly and indirectly involved? I bought my Y reg TDi SE A2 with working OSS last May with the intention of keeping it as original as possible without adding numerous options that were available at the time. The possibility of fitting rear speakers was a must and viewed as a relatively simple addition! How wrong I was from your reply. However I want to go ahead.

This is where I am so far..

The car has it's front carpets and front trims removed inc glovebox to sort a water ingress problem which is now solved in that I have identified where the water is coming in. It was coming in from blocked drainage channels from the front OSS roof drains that pass beneath the foam strip between windscreen glass and 'A' pillar. Wiring is therefore easily accessible for the speakers.

The recent storms lifted two wheely bins completely over the car but dropped a third between rear inside passenger door and a shed, denting door in two places. Wassap had an identical Y reg door which I have bought together with a Blue spot amp he already had. Last year I bought rear speakers, tweeters and door internal wiring looms from a breaker and the original Chorus radio single din with centre knob from the last owner is now installed although a single Din upgrade radio with single CD would be good.

My car was reg on 03/03/2001 so quite early. Up to what year would I need to get suitable looms from presuming that mine has the early ones? My son has GENDAN VCDS but a trip up north would be possible if needed and if you are available. I may also be interested in your kit of parts if Wassap's are unavailsble.

Regards, Paul

Hi Paul,

Given the registration date of your car, I'm fairly certain that you'll need the earlier type of connector. The looms you've bought should look like this:
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10300&d=1345388884

The connector on the end should look like this:
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10299&d=1345388877
Notice that the connector is in two parts; lock control through the larger half, audio through the smaller half.

If the looms you've bought are of the later single-part design, then they can still be used, but the B-pillar connector on the car-side would also have to be updated to the later style. I have a few of these connectors and could do this conversion for you. I'm also able to make a loom to connect together the head unit, Blaupunkt amp, fuse box and B-pillars. If you'd like to meet up, I'm sure we could do the complete job in a day.

Cheers,

Tom

PS: Fitting a single-DIN CD player to a pre-2002MY car is no simple task, I'm afraid.

Back