What colour paint for refurbing standard alloys

Birchall

Dick Chown Award 2016
Hi,

I am about to refurb a standard set of 16" SE alloys and every time I have refurbed alloys the paint is never light enough and always looks darker than standard.

Can anyone recommend the right shade of BRIGHT silver please?

Thanks
Steve B

Hi,

the paint code is the last 3 characters of the wheel part number.

Thus, everyone's favourite 17" RS4 style wheels are Silver, 1H7 where as the 16" SE standard wheels are Avus Silver, Z17.

The same paint codes are used on the centre caps.

regards

Andrew

Hi,

Thus, everyone's favourite 17" RS4 style wheels are Silver, 1H7 where as the 16" SE standard wheels are Avus Silver, Z17.

regards

Andrew

Thanks both, I am assuming this is available over the counter at an Audi parts shop?

Steve B

Hi,

regards

Andrew

Just to clarify, neither of these centre caps are painted. The 17" RS4 are brushed alluminium and clear lacquered and the 16" SE are chrome finished.

Just to clarify, neither of these centre caps are painted. The 17" RS4 are brushed alluminium and clear lacquered and the 16" SE are chrome finished.

True, I realised my wording was less than ideal after I posted. I perhaps should have said colour code rather than paint code. Audi use the code as part of the part number describe the colour of the part or at least the colour it goes with. Where as for example, wheels are painted so the colour code refers to the paint code (with an "L" at the start), a lot of centre caps aren't painted, but still have different finish colours to match different wheels.

Some centre caps designs are available in a range of colours to match different finishes of wheels, sometimes the colour code chosen as a match is the same as the paint finish colour of the wheel and sometimes it is a different but appropriate choice. That then means that for the parts where this is a colour variation, you would need to know the complete centre cap or wheel part reference with the colour code to ensure that a replacement is correct.

An example an 17" RS4 spec wheel 8L0 601 025 AC 1H7 finished in Silver (1H7) would have a 8D0 601 165 K 1H7 centre cap to match which is also described as being finished in Silver (1H7). This centre cap however is also available in other colours, Grey Metallic (7ZJ) as 8D0 601 165 K 7ZJ and Titanium Grey (8AU) as 8D0 601 165 K 8AU. All are the same overall design, but with a different finish colour to go with different wheels.

Thankfully most wheels and centre caps are only available in one colour finish, but there are exceptions.

regards

Andrew

Back