Oil level.

bm_sthlm

A2OC Donor
Today morning I was going for a 400km ride. Before I left home I checked the oil level and it was below the minimum. I only had around 200ml left of oil so I poured everything in and I just got above the minimum level. When I arrived home after my drive I just wanted to check the level again. And I noticed that now its above the maximum.... :confused:

So this raised two questions:

1, how is that even possible? Did I make a mistake when I read the oil level in the morning? It's a rather easy job to be able to make a mistake...

2, What should I do now? Whats the risks?

Today morning I was going for a 400km ride. Before I left home I checked the oil level and it was below the minimum. I only had around 200ml left of oil so I poured everything in and I just got above the minimum level. When I arrived home after my drive I just wanted to check the level again. And I noticed that now its above the maximum.... :confused:

So this raised two questions:

1, how is that even possible? Did I make a mistake when I read the oil level in the morning? It's a rather easy job to be able to make a mistake...

2, What should I do now? Whats the risks?

Assuming that the car was on level ground, It is possible that you may have not fully pressed the dipstick all of the way in when checking it the first time?

An overfull engine can cause serious damage, but only if it is overfilled by a lot. Damage can occur to the catalytic convertor if there is too much oil in the sump.

Is the level a lot past the maximum, or just a little? (dipsticks are not super accurate and so you can allow for a little either way.

Steve B

Did you check the oil when the engine was cold, both times?

No, in the morning the car was cold. But in the afternoon it was just when I had arrived home after a 200km trip.

Assuming that the car was on level ground, It is possible that you may have not fully pressed the dipstick all of the way in when checking it the first time?

An overfull engine can cause serious damage, but only if it is overfilled by a lot. Damage can occur to the catalytic convertor if there is too much oil in the sump.

Is the level a lot past the maximum, or just a little? (dipsticks are not super accurate and so you can allow for a little either way.

Steve B

Yes, I might have made a mistake. But I don't think I did, its to easy of a job to mess up.... but you never know... its not impossible.

I don't know exactly by how much right now, but I will check it in the morning. But taking from my memory about, 0.5-1cm (0.2-0.4 inches).

No, in the morning the car was cold. But in the afternoon it was just when I had arrived home after a 200km trip.

Yes, I might have made a mistake. But I don't think I did, its to easy of a job to mess up.... but you never know... its not impossible.

I don't know exactly by how much right now, but I will check it in the morning. But taking from my memory about, 0.5-1cm (0.2-0.4 inches).

If it was 1cm or more I would definitely try to drain some out, up to 0.5cm and you would probably be ok.

Steve B

If you do all the dipstick checks but find the oil level still continues to rise, it may be diesel leaking into the sump. Possible causes are a faulty tandem pump or leaking injector seals.
I've not heard of this happening on an A2 before but its not an uncommon fault on 4 cylinder golf TDi engines.

Cheers Spike

I just went down and checked it again. Without using a ruler I would say its 1-2mm above max. I will take some more measurements during the day to see if anything changes.

Thnx for your help guys.

Back