MFSW - what else?

DJ 190

A2OC Donor
O.K. I've seen another multi-function steering wheel, In Germany. http://www.ebay.de/itm/Audi-A6-C5-4...207418306?pt=DE_Autoteile&hash=item20e09e35c2 It's in "Jive", so it is a perfect colour match. Purchasing the wheel's one thing, but what else is needed, please? Isn't there a relay or module that is also required to make everything function in my A2? If I knew what is needed, then maybe the same Ebay lister might be able to supply those components, too?

David

Last edited:
That links for a number plate David. You'll no get far steering with one of those. :p

Memory serving there are extensive posts from Jeff and CraigyB concerning MFSW. Worth a wee search to see if it comes up trumps with the parts you need to make one work. You'll recall there was much debate over safety concerns with single/multi-stage airbags.

I sold an identical MFSW (but in black) on here for around £30, so this seems a tad dear.
These have a controller built into the wheel but I think they also have a separate controller. It does not appear to be a plug and play option whatever happens.

Steve B

I sold an identical MFSW (but in black) on here for around £30
Steve B
Wow! Some bargain, that was! A good standard wheel, in leather, is usually £65-£70! The colour that I require (Jive) seems to make this a rather rare item .... I am sure that one will come along, though.

David

Hi David,

The multifunction buttons are connected to a circuit board inside the steering wheel. This circuit board turns your commands into a LIN signal (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_Interconnect_Network). The LIN signal is passed through the slip ring in the steering column where it goes to the MFSW controller. This controller translates the LIN signal into a CAN signal, which is sent to the stereo.

This might seem overly complex, but it's not possible to connect all the buttons on the steering wheel directly to a controller on the other side of the steering column due to the limited number of wires in the slip ring. By converting the button commands to LIN, all manner of controls can operate through a single wire.

The steering wheel you've found in Germany will have the LIN board present, but you'll need the MFSW controller to convert the LIN signal to CAN. Rob (Chumsofmanutd) currently has a MFSW controller that's compatible with the steering wheel you've found. Rob needs it for his own project so I doubt it's for sale, but I'm sure he'd be willing to post the part number.

The MFSW controller sits in a little holder of its own behind the headlight switch. The controller needs approximately 8 connections, though I can't remember precisely what they all are: permanent power, switched power, earth, CAN high, CAN low, LIN, side lights... and a few others. When the side lights are turned on, the controller sends a signal along the LIN wire towards the steering wheel saying "buttons, light up!". It's very elegant.

I'm not yet sure whether all the A2 slip rings have the necessary pins/wire for the LIN signal. I suspect not, though Tony/Jeff should be able to say for sure.

So, in short, you'll need the appropriate MFSW controller, its holder, a series of pins and wires and perhaps a replacement slip ring. Oh, and VCDS for the necessary coding.

Cheers,

Tom

Thank you so much for your input, Tom (and others) Again, clear, useful and helpful information on exactly what is required to fit a MFSW into my A2! I did look back through the Forum, but your contribution (Tom) is just superb! It would appear that the controller is model specific and pretty expensive? What about the slip ring? You didn't seem to give any information regarding that, Tom? Maybe it would be worth sourcing the other required components before purchasing a suitable wheel? ...

David

Hi David,

Tom is the right person to speak to about this, but when I trial fitted the same wheel the plug on the wheel for the buttons plugged into an existing socket on the slip ring, so you probably don't need to buy another ring!

Steve B

What about the slip ring? You didn't seem to give any information regarding that, Tom?

Well, I gave a little information; it just wasn't definitive...

I'm not yet sure whether all the A2 slip rings have the necessary pins/wire for the LIN signal. I suspect not, though Tony/Jeff should be able to say for sure.

However, on the back of what Spike says, I'm willing to stick my neck out...

Whilst working on A2s recently at Rob's house, I ended up holding two slip rings: a standard one (part number ending in revision C) and one fitted to a car with MSFW from factory (part number ending in revision G). I couldn't find a difference between them. All connectors were present on both revisions. I used my multimeter to measure for continuity through the slip ring and found all pins were identically connected on both sides. So, I'm actually inclined to suggest that the standard slip ring can be used in conjunction with a MFSW, but I've never tried it and therefore cannot be 100% sure.

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:
I have noticed this on Ebay ..... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A2-A4-A6-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item258185803f There appears to be a slight difference against the part number supplied by "craigyb". His part number ended in an "F" (609 4BO 907 487F), wheras this listing ends in an "E" What do you think? Will it be suitable?

David

If the one with the "E" can be used I have one you can have for £20 if that helps?

Better than paying £45 for the same thing.

Steve B

Steve B

Hi,

I believe that the "E" model is for up to 2001MY cars where as the "F" model is for 2002MY and later. The change may be related to the introduction of the CAN bus on 2002MY cars. The one required therefore depends on the age of the car.

regards

Andrew

Hi,

I believe that the "E" model is for up to 2001MY cars where as the "F" model is for 2002MY and later. The change may be related to the introduction of the CAN bus on 2002MY cars. The one required therefore depends on the age of the car.

regards

Andrew

Hi David

In that case, it looks like the one I have will suit your car (which is a 2001 I think? unless your profile is way out of date).

If you want it, just make a donation to the forum of £10 and I will post it to you Free of charge!!(PM me with your address!)

You have been a good supporter on here and it is appreciated.

Let me know and it is yours!

Steve B

Firstly, thanks for your kindness, Steve, that's so good of you! Now the Ebay lister had offered to check suitability if suplied with the vehicles VIN, so I did that yesterday .... this was his response ..... "Hi not listed for your car, you need 4B0 907 487 F, we have no holder, not sure what else you will need if doing a conversion" ...... So I'm just a bit confused? I'm not sure if it is safe to give my VIN number on the site, for safety reasons? Where do I go from here? An Audi dealership to check for compatibility? I know that the earlier DIS cluster didn't fit my A2 .... Maybe I'm just on the change-over for 2001MY? I have just seen "Timmus's" response .... Thanks, Tom ... looks like you have answered my question .... I will need that "F" designated controller, then .....
David

Last edited:
Firstly, thanks for your kindness, Steve, that's so good of you! Now the Ebay lister had offered to check suitability if suplied with the vehicles VIN, so I did that yesterday .... this was his response ..... "Hi not listed for your car, you need 4B0 907 487 F, we have no holder, not sure what else you will need if doing a conversion" ...... So I'm just a bit confused? I'm not sure if it is safe to give my VIN number on the site, for safety reasons? Where do I go from here? An Audi dealership to check for compatibility? I know that the earlier DIS cluster didn't fit my A2 .... Maybe I'm just on the change-over for 2001MY?

David
Go to an Audi Deaker or ring them.

Tell them you want the MFSW controller (not the one in the wheel) and ask for a price.
Then ask them for the part number. That way you will get the definitive answer and also know the genuine price.
Just tell them you will get back to them.

If it is an E then you are fine.
If it is an F at least you know their cost.

I wouldn't pay much attention to the eVay seller. It is better for him to say no than send if and have to refund you. Do he is either playing safe or simply doesn't know.

Steve B

David's car is a 2002MY and is fitted with an infotainment CAN bus.

Cheers,

Tom

In that case it is an F he needs. I checked davids profile and it says a 2001. Needs an update David !!! LOL

Thanks for the update Tom.
Steve B

Back