Sky Insurance

timmus

A2OC Donor
Hi folks,

May always marks the beginning of a new year for my car, with insurance, tax and MOT all due at once.

I've been with Adrian Flux since I bought my A2, but their renewal quotes have been going up and up over the last few years and I've only been able to keep them down by threatening to leave. Having just spoken to Luke at Sky Insurance, I've now acted on my threats and have switched.

First of all, Luke was a pleasure to talk to. He took the time to understand my relationship with my car. I drive a heavily modified Audi, but he understood that my mod' philosophy is not about out-n-out power and handling. In fact, we joked that I am a bit of a granddad; comfort, reliability and economy are the top priorities!

Quoting prices is a bit meaningless, as it depends on so many factors, but Sky were about 20% cheaper than Adrian Flux, plus they added free no claims protection. They were also happy to insure the car for a pre-agreed value of £9000, meaning I'll get enough cash to modify a replacement A2 should the worst happen to my wee car.

Mention that you're a member of A2OC and you'll get a decent discount. :)

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom

Sounds very worthwhile having that discussion and a good outcome for you.

Thanks for the information. I'll be researching insurance soon.

Would you recommend discussing a pre-agreed value for a standard un-modified model A2?

Hilary

Would you recommend discussing a pre-agreed value for a standard un-modified model A2?

I think this depends somewhat upon whether you believe your A2 is worth more than an insurance company are likely to.

A fellow club member, Ricardo, recently had his 200,000-mile A2 TDI written off. Its condition belied its mileage. A bog standard insurance company will look at little more than the book value based on age and mileage. To many insurers, the A2 is just another second-hand car. If you know that you'd struggle to get hold of a like-for-like A2 should the worst happen to your current one, then having insurance with a pre-agreed value is definitely a good thing.

For me, it's a no-brainer. Is my car worth £9000 in a hypothetical sale? No, probably not. But would it cost me £9000 to create it again? Almost certainly.

Tom

Back