NAV fitted at Dealer Point

Stan2stan2

A2OC Donor
I've just looked at a FSI that has switches located near the hand brake... Now I been looking for a while for an A2 but haven't come across this before.

Switch has NAV and what looks like a rotating rubber dial, but doesn't rotate.

Does any one now what this is, the Radio is the Double Din, sorry didn't look closely enough at the model, cassette was in to link to a phone/mp3.

Thank you

The original OEM sat-nav available at the time the A2 was first launched had a separate set of rotary controls near the hand brake as you've discovered. They're as rare as hen's teeth on A2s to be honest - very expensive option at the time and I believe the actual unit was hatefully awful! The navi-disc drive was located in the boot, and all navi-instructions were on the DIS display.

Last edited:
It is the navigation basic. Quite rare and by all reports not user friendly. The directions are audio and via the dis screen.
Cheers mike

Dan b RNS-D is the full navigation option on A2's differing from -e in having a smaller screen.

Last edited:
Far better option is the RNS -E upgrade. These units can be had at a reasonable price and really take the A2 dash up a notch. Despite some comments to the contrary, they work very well in my experience and integrate well with the DIS and auxiliary sound sources. I have fitted these to several member's A2's and the feedback is very positive.

blue skies
tony

Excellent thanks for all the info, yes I saw what I thought was a CD changer on the boot could that be the Navi-Disk.
Pressed a few buttons nothing was working at all, the rotary switch didn't turn but that could just be from spilage, dirt the works.
Could you then retro fit RNS unit in this and have the buttons work.

Jesus haven't even brought the thing yet and I'm upgrading it, I know this is going to keep me I bits for the next few years.

Cheers for the replies.

Brought the car last week and generally been driving to work, just getting used to driving a manual after 7 years driving an Automatic. Several times pulling up to the lights and nearly stalling the car in third.

I'm getting use to the Symphony 2 deck and I really like the way it plays the CD's, what with the 8 speakers which I was surprised with, nice load sounds coming from my A2 now. Iam going to wait now on an upgrade to an RNS, because I like the standard set up with the DIS, works really well.

Going for the IO Play 2 intergrated with the radio, as I like playing my playlist from my iphone in my car. And I haven't found a audio set up yet that as soon as you get into the car you can start playing music off the phone as you drive away. Can't be waiting for the unit to boot up. Where as the IO play 2 links with the phone as soon as the ignition key is turned on.

Don't know really what to do with the Nav-Disk, as it doesn't have a disk inside the unit. And I'm not sure if it works at all.
The App, Nav-Free on my iphone is great for getting me around anyway, so with that and the IO Play 2 I can have instructions through the speakers and a display off the iPhone.

My car has the original basic OEM sat-nav. I confirm that it's very poor/crude with a minimal arrow display in the DIS 'window'. I never use it, relying instead on a TomTom (recently upgraded to a Garmin 3598 LMT-D with free lifetime maps & RDS traffic - superb).

I upgraded the map cd for the Audi unit a few years ago - cheapest I could get the genuine Teleatlas map CD for was £115. Price now for the latest Teleatlas CD is 129 Euros and it no longer has RDS traffic.

Advice? Stay clear of the original Audi basic satnav - even a paper atlas is better, not to mention a fraction of the price!

Last edited:
Back