Remote locking not working

Stuebydoo

A2OC Donor
Hi guys and girls,

Two weeks into ownership and have my first problem.

The car came with 2 keys, one didnt work. I have been using the other key fine until late night. I unlocked the car at work and drove home, then when I got home I tried to lock it and nothing. So I locked it using the key instead of the remote.

So had a read on here about syncing the keys up. I cant seem to get them to do it. Ive checked the batteries and both are reading 3volts.

This is the procedure I have been doing to try to pair them to the car:

Lock car with key blade
Remove key
Unlock car with key blade
Get in car shut door and start engine
Turn off engine, remove key and press the unlock button on the key fob

Nothing happens.

Am I doing it wrong, or is there something amiss? A friend checked the car for codes using vagcom on Saturday, and there was a code about a door microswitch, he cleared the codes, and it didnt come back. This was when the key was working fine, worked fine up until last night.

Any help would be appreciated, I would prefer to use the remote locking.

Thanks.

Try inserting the key into the ignition (the one that just stopped working) turn on the igniton (don't start the car) with the ignition on just press the lock and unlock buttons a couple of times on the key that is in the ignition.

Then remove and try it.

That should work if the battery is ok.

Steve B

Thankyou Steve, that worked, and I now have a fully functioning remote again.

Can I use the same method for my second key, or is there another procedure I need to do with that one? There seem to be lots of different ways of pairing keys, and everyone seems to have success using one of those methods, but seems to be no definitive way of doing it. Insert the key within 2 seconds of unlocking the door, while hopping on your left leg, and saying the alphabet backwards, count 13.6 seconds, then open the petrol flap, say a prayer, and press the lock button. :)

Thankyou Steve, that worked, and I now have a fully functioning remote again.

Can I use the same method for my second key, or is there another procedure I need to do with that one? There seem to be lots of different ways of pairing keys, and everyone seems to have success using one of those methods, but seems to be no definitive way of doing it. Insert the key within 2 seconds of unlocking the door, while hopping on your left leg, and saying the alphabet backwards, count 13.6 seconds, then open the petrol flap, say a prayer, and press the lock button. :)
Hi,
I am glad that worked!

As for the other key, this process only works on keys that have already been "paired" to this car, but have "lost" the pairing.

I have never yet managed to get the "Key in the door" option to work.
I have even had problems with pairing a new key using VCDS.

When I changed my CCCU I was able to pair the old keys to the new CCCU via VCDS though.

So I can't really advise you on a process for "first time" matching of a key to a different car.

But do try the second key with the method that worked with this key, it might have been paired once.

If it doesn't work, swap the battery from the other key to this one just to make sure that it is not dead.

Steve B

I checked the batteries in both and they are both ok. Ive no reason not to think that key once worked with the car. I imagine it was a spare that dropped its code through lack of use. I might not tempt fate, and just carry on with the one that works for the time being. I managed to hear what my alarm sounds like too this morning haha.

I checked the batteries in both and they are both ok. Ive no reason not to think that key once worked with the car. I imagine it was a spare that dropped its code through lack of use. I might not tempt fate, and just carry on with the one that works for the time being. I managed to hear what my alarm sounds like too this morning haha.
If it was paired before then it should work using the same process and it won't cause a problem with the one that is now working. So give it a try, better to have two fully working keys, just in case!

Steve B

Back