LED bulbs - not necessarily a simple (or cheap) swap

Birchall

Dick Chown Award 2016
Hi,

I have been trying to get as many LED bulbs as possible for the "project".

It has been a frustrating and expensive experience so far.

The interior bulbs are reasonably easy, the festoons are fine and the interior does look really good all lit up in th bluey white bright light!!!

The main problems are with the main bulbs (stop and tail, indicator etc.) is that the LED bulbs draw so little power (this is the main benefit) that the car thinks the bulb has blown.

I have DIS and so when I fit the main bulbs I get the "bulb out" warning.
Worse still the indicators flash rapidly because they depend on the wattage of the bulbs for the speed of the flash.

There is a solution and that is to fit resistors to "mimic" a real bulb by increasing the wattage required.
But this surely defeats the object? LED bulbs draw little current and light up instantly, adding a resistor reduces those benefits.
The other option for the indicators is to use a different type of flasher unit, one that flashes at a constant rate regardless of the current being drawn, but finding one of these for the A2 is a challenge.

There have been some interesting developments on LED headlamp bulbs, with H7 (A2 headlamps) available
I have ordered a set to see if they are any use, I am absolutely convinced they wont be good enough for the headlamps, but the H7 bulbs are also used in the fog lamps and so they won't be wasted.

I have been getting a huge amount of help from Trups at EMtuning with the LEDs and we are sorting out a full kit. Interior and exterior, but he also has a "special LED headlight conversion that is plug and play and this definitely works, the unit I am buying has been used on his own car for some time now!.

I did have a stroke of "eBay luck", I noticed a pair of Cree (the brightest and best LEDs) reversing bulbs in an auction that was about to close (had 2 hours left) and nobody had bid and the price started at 99p. So I bid and won them. 99p, post free BARGAIN!!!
I have fitted a set of these reversing lights in the wife's tdi 90 and they look good, very bright and a nice bluey white light. My wife's A2 doesn't have DIS so no need to worry about "bulb out" warnings.

I will let you know how this progresses when I get the full kit from EMtuning !!!

Steve B

done a search on this last night funny enough, along with the a4 climate buttons (hence the like), only looking for interior and number plate leds at the moment, recommendations welcome;)

also await feedback on those h7 bulbs for the fogs.

Last edited:
done a search on this last night funny enough, along with the a4 climate buttons (hence the like), only looking for interior and number plate leds at the moment, recommendations welcome;)

bought a full set of interior LEDs from eBay and the reading light bulbs in the centre roof console were too long, some of the festoons were too short (but still usable if you bend the copper contact inwards). The rear boot light bulb didn't fit!

I believe that the interior kit that EMtuning are sending me will be much better, I will let you know when it arrives.

To be honest I am not sure I like the LED effect on the number plate lights, the light spread seems too narrow, but we will see.

Steve B

It's not the low power people go for with LED's, it's the stronger, long lasting light. I have all LED rear lights, reverse, fog, indicators, stop and tail, LED side repeaters etc. In fact the only bulbs I have left are the headlamps which are HID's

It's not the low power people go for with LED's, it's the stronger, long lasting light. I have all LED rear lights, reverse, fog, indicators, stop and tail, LED side repeaters etc. In fact the only bulbs I have left are the headlamps which are HID's

So have you used resistors to prevent the DIS warnings on the stop and tail etc.?

Steve B

most led's can now come with the resistor built in. I even got some really small dash ones with them built in (however not for the a2)

I think half the pull of using LED lights is because they hardly use any power plus the nice bluey white light emmited!

I ordered the full set of bulbs from EMtuning yesterday (including the two LED H7s he had taken off his car)
They arrived today!!!

They look to be of good quality and work well.

There are two reversing lamp bulbs and two stop/tail bulbs (not shown), two fog light bulbs, four indicator bulbs the two LED H7s and a full interior kit (including the extra boot lamp bulb for my extra boot lamp)

The only problem is the indicators (to be expected) the current drain is so low that the flashers flash too quickly.
Looks like I need to find an indicator / flasher relay that is not sensitive to current drain, or bite the bullet and fit resistors!!

The LED headlamps have a ballast and a cooling fan (as can be seen in the photo) and so are a genuine kit and KNOWN to be up to the job!!!

I tested these (apart from the LED headlamps) on the wife's 90 but I can't fit them to mine until it is back from the paint shop!!

Steve B

SAM_0202.JPG

Last edited:
Back