heater blower

tilly

hi guys , need your help again lol my 2001 tdi the heater fan as stopped blowing even tho i can increase the speed on the fan button and it goes up but still no blowing , any advise would be much appreciated thanks .

Can I ask if you have climate control or the normal three knob blower.
It sounds as if the fan motor has failed not a nice job but can be done without removal of the dash. Cheers mike

Turn everything off and see if you can turn the fan blades through the recircultion flap under the glove box, this might make it work for a while, would indicate you need a new motor if it does.

Reactions: fbi
Occasionally, especially with lack of use it is not uncommon for the fan to stick. It might be worth opening the glovebox and giving the right hand side (where the fan is located) a bang with the palm of your hand as this has worked in the past for me when the car had stood for a while and my blower stopped working. Would be a good idea to change the pollen filter while you're in that area as a lot of people forget/neglect to do this. Fingers crossed for you.

many thanks guys , looked inside the glove compartment but cant see the fan

It is UNDER the glove box, not inside it. The advice was to tap the right hand side inside the glove box because that is very near the fan. The openings are underneath the glove box in the "roof" of the passenger footwell.

:)

Steve B

thanks steve , just been out and gave it a good bang , no luck , will have to book in with local garage for a new motor , thanks to you all

Last edited:
I fixed mine last weekend !
Not a difficult job, but one screw is diffcult to access (the top right - there a 5 srews for the blower). There is a hole in a cross member expressely made to pass a screwdriver (torx) through and access that screw. The screwdriver has to have a length of let's say, 15cm. If too short, it won't reach the screw. If too long, it won't pass through the access hole.
A torch lamp or head lamp is a great help to see what's up there !
When I had the blower off the car, i disnmatled the motor/fan from the "trim", and sprayed good amound of WD40, and let it so for the night. It turned then much more freely than it did... Then I blowed it with an air compressor, and put some oil in the bearing. I plugged it and tried it "loose" without refitting the assembly (caution for hands/fingers !! the motor has a good amount of torque ! secure it with something). It worked well, no noise, I refitted everything, an spared 300€ :)

Tip for refitting the top-right screw : pass and hold the screwdriver through the "access hole" with one hand, put the screw on the torx end on the screwdriver with the other hand, then take a torch lamp with the latter hand, and carefully move the screw (with the screwdriver) towards its hole

Good idea :)
From my reasearches prior to the fix, it seems that blowers in the A2 tend to "seize" but they usually can be freed with WD40 & oil.

Before starting, search first for the location of the glovebox screws (there are 5 too).

To dismantle the motor + fan from its casing, there are 4 "pawls" (mine had little dots of yellow paint on them) that can be pushed inside, and the motor will "drop". To achieve that, you'll also need to free the electric connector from the casing. Just push on both sides of the connector with a thin thing, like a nail, or little hex spanner.
You'll then see that the "pawls" are in fact the protruding part of silent blocks that isolate the casing from the motor vibrations. Be careful to refit them properly when done with motor/bearings (easy, but important !)

Last edited:
blower

well firstly a big thankyou all for your help , what a day lol yes the motor was us looked like one of the carbon bushes had let go so got a new motor euro car parts £130 , as for getting it out / off well those 2 top screws are pita didnt have the will to put them back thought 4 would do , love the a2 but they are a pain to work on , well back to nice cool air , thanks guys could never of done it without your help cheers :rolleyes:

well firstly a big thankyou all for your help , what a day lol yes the motor was us looked like one of the carbon bushes had let go so got a new motor euro car parts £130 , as for getting it out / off well those 2 top screws are pita didnt have the will to put them back thought 4 would do , love the a2 but they are a pain to work on , well back to nice cool air , thanks guys could never of done it without your help cheers :rolleyes:
Hi,

I didn't contribute much to this one at all but I am sure that those that did are very happy to hear that they helped. It is always nice to hear success stories like this and the occasional thank you as you have done helps a lot.

Steve B

Sorry to read that your motor couldn't be resuscitated :(
I had done some researches for the part prior to dismantling the motor. I should have told you that... because I had found in Germany many vendors offering what seems to be an original part for much less than you paid for :( : http://www.befr.ebay.be/itm/331075444465

Back