New Road tax laws, quite a change!!!!

Birchall

Dick Chown Award 2016
Sorry if this has been posted before but the new Road Tax process starts in October.

One of the biggest changes is when you buy a car.

Any road tax left on the car will NOT transfer to you, the person who taxed the car gets the refund.
So every car you buy that has the new "electronic" tax disc comes with no road tax regardless of the number of months left on it.

Strange!!!

But I suppose that it makes sense to get rid of the paper tax disc, now that the insurance cover and MOT is held electronically.

I am assuming that you will now have a completely clear windscreen !!!

I do like change, when it improves things.

Not sure I like the idea that if you buy a car you can't really drive it home (legally) because it is not taxed in your name. But I suppose that until the seller has notified the DVLA it will show up as taxed.

Interesting.

Steve B

Looks like most traders and private sellers will just notify DVLA of the sale a day later, that then keeps you in the green, not sure where that would leave the seller if you speed through a speed camera though whilst on the way home..
It would have to be a true gentlemans agreement!

Last edited:
www.Gov.uk website states that you can tax the vehicle online or by automated phone service 24/7 using the new keeper part of the V5C

Buying a vehicle
From 1 October, when you buy a vehicle, the vehicle tax will no longer be transferred with the vehicle. You will need to get new vehicle tax before you can use the vehicle.

You can tax the vehicle using the New Keeper Supplement (V5C/2) part of the vehicle registration certificate (V5C) online or by using our automated phone service - 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Alternatively, you may wish to visit a Post Office® branch.

We've finally reached the future (later in the year) !!!

Searching for a Post Office, queuing in your lunch hour for ages, and being told when you get to the front of the queue "we don't do tax here" will be a thing of the past as will waiting for your disc to arrive in the post when purchased online and then sticking it to your windscreen.

Last edited:
car prices should fall aswell, for example an old mazda RX8 was worth picking up for a cheap fun summer car if it had 12/6 months tax on but now at £400 a year these will be totally worthless.

explains the magnetic tax disc holder of the mother in law for my birthday:p

I wonder if there will be a monthly direct debit option on my £30 a2 and £16 vespa.

This is also appears to be a clever way of the DVLA getting an extra months tax every time a used car is sold. I assume that the previous owner will only have full months refunded and the new owner will be charged a full month for the first part month.

As Vonnie says tax on line or 24/7 telephone. You won't know if its SORN or currently taxed without checking online so you may aswell tax it.
As for ANPR cameras taking over the policing role - i think all we can look forward to are the ranks of uninsured and not mot'd being joined by the not taxed. Although as this will now directly affect the Government who knows how many more cameras we'll see (or not) keeping tabs on all our movements.
Jonathan

Given that there will no paper disc I wonder why cars can't be taxed by the day rather than whole months, I'm sure I had a calculator back in the 80's which could do the calculation. This is along the same lines as why can't I be charged per minute in a pay on exit car park rather than to the nearest hour....I could go on....must waste more time and write to my MP about this.

Jonathan

Back