Handbrake cable replacement - where to start? and what to do first?

I'm having to renew my rear brake shoes and cable.

Please see here for complete story.
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthrea...de-brake-drum/page2&highlight=handbrake+cable

Being new to servicing, I've found this tricky, and gave up today, as a bad job!

I'm struggling with the hand brake cable, one of which seems OK, but I would like to have changed both, as I have new ones.
The drivers side one, is compressed and distorted.

What is the correct way to take the old ones off? Where should I start?

I can see they both go somewhere towards the centre of the car, but how do I disconnect them... do I have to take off any heat shields etc... mine are all a bit crudy.

Sorry for the rant... time to open the Yellow Tail!

Any help from anyone who has successfully completed this job, greatly appreciated.

bba

Disconnect first at the lever, i.e. loosen off the adjustment completely. Then remove the mechanism at the wheel end; removal of the hub makes this easier but avoid if you can as you will have to replace the Nyloc nut. The cable will then separate easily, having removed any tension and you can pull the cable out from the wheel end. It helps greatly if you have the VAG hooked tool to remove/replace springs.

RAB

Just a quick update,

The hand brake cable on the drivers side was nightmare to get off. Been on for 12 years!
It was corroded badly. The cable goes up near the fuel tank, and there's not a lot of room to work... especially if you are working on the ground.
I don't know what it was, but we unmounted something fuel related [servo/vacuum/pump], just two bolts, that was blocking visibility to the cable, which made life a lot easier once removed.

Anyway, job is done now, thanks to my mate.

Cheers

bba

Back