Devils eyes ....DRL

taz

Banned
Hello, I have carried out the 3" bi-xenon devils eye and the drl mod to my a2 headlights,
Thought I share some pics.

the lights have been sealed back together and will go back on the car over the weekend.

more pics soon.

some more pics with them on the test car:

Last edited:
Sure there was a discussion in the past regarding the legality of displaying red / coloured lights on the front of a vehicle.
I'd recommend members considering a similar mod to check this out for themselves before copying this (quite nicely executed) light upgrade

Cheers Spike

No matter how cool they look, using these on the road is totally illegal and you'll be easy prey for PC Plod, and putting red lights on the front of a car is potentially very dangerous. People might think they're looking at the rear of the car going away, when in fact it's the front coming toward.

Lighting Offences under the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989

Blue lights - except for emergency vehicles it is an offence to fit a blue lamp or device resembling an emergency beacon such whether working or not

Other lights - It is an offence to show a red light to the front of a vehicle (including a reflector) and a white light to the rear unless reversing. Green lights can only be fitted on Medical Practitioners vehicles.

It does not matter if the lights are mounted inside or outside the vehicle, just that the light can be seen from the outside. This could also include neon lights fitted under or on the side of a vehicle and red LED windscreen washer jets.

I knew blue lights were illegal but didn't know red was. I can see the logic in it though. How firmly this is enforced is an interesting point as you do see cars on the road with coloured lights at the front. Irrespective of this, the club can't support or endorse any modification that is either illegal or dangerous - As Spike says it looks a really neat job though.

My friend has a vw t5 van (I will have one soon to do as a camper my self in the near future! Big bro for my a2 I'll never get rid of!) he has blue lights on the front and additional red lights on the rear, he has been pulled by the police but he has a print out from the Internet and it says (I don't know if it only counts for vans/lorrys????) you are allowed additional lights of all colours as long as they are not flashing and resemble emergency services, the police officer was not happy and got very excited with him but let him drive away. When I see him next I'll ask him what exactly the print off days and where it's from.

Quick search found this, said pretty much what I said but no to red except at the rear

image.jpg

Here's a better one so forget what I said before, only blue at the front this says

image.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not planning to use the delivls red eyes on at all times, only ocassionally when I go to Ace café meets......

So the red section switches independent of the other light? How does that work or do you have to run another switch for it?

Lighting Offences under the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989

Blue lights - except for emergency vehicles it is an offence to fit a blue lamp or device resembling an emergency beacon such whether working or not

Other lights - It is an offence to show a red light to the front of a vehicle (including a reflector) and a white light to the rear unless reversing.

Yes, the very best way is to study the wording of the actual regulations! Any red light at the front is 100% illegal! The wording of the 1989 regulations goes into details of exactly what a "beacon" consists of ..... It needs to flash, or even to be able to flash ...... So IMHO, a static blue light at the front of the vehicle would appear to be permitted and legal ...... it does not qualify as a "beacon"

David

VAG Meet 6pm (Water Cooled VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda)
Start Time:
06:00 PM
End Time:
11:00 PM

Meet Details:
Water Cooled VW
Audi
Seat
Skoda

I may have to pop down there, hopefully theirs some modded stuff that turns up!
Anyone else up for it :)

Last edited:
VAG Meet 6pm (Water Cooled VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda)
Start Time:
06:00 PM
End Time:
11:00 PM

Meet Details:
Water Cooled VW
Audi
Seat
Skoda

I may have to pop down there, hopefully theirs some modded stuff that turns up!
Anyone else up for it :)

Is this the last Thursday of the month??

Back