Roof skin

scott

A2OC Donor
I'm having my car dent fixed this week and he wants me to drop the roof lining, it's only a small ding and seems there is a lot involved to drop the corner safely with out creasing the headlining.
Any head start on what comes off first would be appreciated but what would really help is if anyone has an a2 with the roof lining out already could take a picture or the back corner so I can see if it's double skinned to where the dent is, if it is it will save me the hassle of taking it apart to find out it can't be done.
Here is the area I need to drop and the ding is somewhere above it.

image.jpg

Thank you

I thought some dents our be pulled out using a low pressure vacuum type of system

I'm having my car dent fixed this week and he wants me to drop the roof lining, it's only a small ding and seems there is a lot involved to drop the corner safely with out creasing the headlining.
Any head start on what comes off first would be appreciated but what would really help is if anyone has an a2 with the roof lining out already could take a picture or the back corner so I can see if it's double skinned to where the dent is, if it is it will save me the hassle of taking it apart to find out it can't be done.
Here is the area I need to drop and the ding is somewhere above it.

View attachment 17628

Thank you

Hi,

Could you show a picture of the dent too please, just to see what position it is so we can be more precise?

Cheers
Steve B

The dent is under the masking tape and is no bigger than the tape, it would be hard to notice in this light and weather but it does stand out to me when I wax the car and is very annoying

image.jpg

It is quite likely their is a double skin there so a picture like this or closer but obviously with out the roof lining in would be great.

image.jpg

Thank you

I thought some dents our be pulled out using a low pressure vacuum type of system

Iv never known it to be done like that, dent fix use different types of metal bars, they get behind the dent and push it out very clever and interesting to watch.

Thank you for that spike, all the pictures go very close to what I need to see but not quite there! But it gave me a heads up on dropping the lining so thank you. All these a2's being broken and none with the lining out!! Hopefully a picture will appear soon :s

There's a lot of photos on this site detailing the process to install an OSS: http://www.tim-d.de/mein-auto/audi-a2-1-2-tdi-3l/open-sky-umbau/

Steve

Thank you this is exactly what I needed, from what I can see it looks like the panel that the boot hing is housed in will be in the way of the dent! I'll do some measuring later but looks like this has saved me the hassle of taking it apart to find out there is a skin in the way! A whole roof to get a ding and it had to be there!

Thank you so much.

Those dent guys can do some magic, so it could still be repaired.

I had a small dent on the door of one of my A2's and the guy fixed it perfectly, by removing a tiny grommet near the door catch and massaging with a long rod (no pun intended)

Another A2 had a small paint chip dent behind a double skinned area. He drilled a small hole and gained access for another perfect repair.

Yes, I am constantly amazed at how these companies can make dents simply disappear, even in the most awkward of places.

Steve B

Yes the guy my work uses is really good, the thing is when their is a double skin in the way they have to bend it to get it away from the dented panel also I see him drill holes now and then to gain access to tricky areas which is fine on an a2 as it won't rust but other cars will I think I'd rather keep the dent than have a hole but I'm just fussy!

Had the dent fix done today and I'm really happy, I had 4 dents 1 on front passenger door 1 on each rear passenger doors and one on the roof. I said to him don't worry about the roof, it looked like a pain to strip down and I'm sure there will be a skin in the way and he said he will try sliding the tool up the side of the head lining, and thank fully it did :)) so now I have a dent free car :))

Anyone needing dents doing I would recommend the company "dent fix" you'll find them on line they are good!

Last edited:
Great news! Perfect bodywork again!

I have a very very minor dent on my bonnet, only i can see it, but it needs to go! No one else would notice it though...

Can you tell us how much it cost for the removal work?

One of the dents I'd describe as half a dent it was that small, I thought I was the only one that could see it because I wax it and spot every thing! And before I told him he looked down the side and see it! I paid £20 because he comes to my work and does dents for my work and our partners skoda and Chrysler, he said he didn't want anything because I usually strip things out for him if he needs it but I was so happy I gave him £20. I don't think one dent would be any more than that, but I'm not sure the best thing to do is email them and explain what you want and get a quote, I'm sure they are reasonable

The 4 dents he removed took no more than 5 minutes to do!

Still not bad from what having it repainted would be and you would be disturbing the original paintwork having it repainted

Last edited:
Back