diesel fuel filter

Mr Angry

A2OC Donor
hi guys,

ive read a few threads about removal etc... of the fuel filter.

should I remove the fuel filter and check for any suspect debris that might be causing the erratic driving my dad has experienced lately. the reason I ask is I wont get the filter delivered until tues/weds next week.

also has anyone had any problems with water being in the fuel filter and should I drain it from the white plug shown in photo. im assuming I just twist this off and water/diesel should pour from it. is this the correct procedure for doing this before I start?

IMAG0296.jpgIMAG0297.jpg

ok heres an update after I drained water and some gunk from the fuel filter.

unfortunately this didn't seem to cure the problem as I was hoping but as soon as I started to climb a hill it started to stutter bad and eventually the engine stalled. after trying to start several times without success, the oil light can appeared on the dash :/ now I did check the oil and its half way so that seems ok! but when I did eventually get it started I tried revving it but it would only reach about 3000 - 3500 max with the pedal at floor. I managed to drive a further 300 yards up hill again before it stalled again. after a few minutes it started ok and I managed to get home to my dads. strange thing is it seems to run ok going down hill or on a flat but as soon as I hit a hill everything goes to $hit.

could there be another problem not relating to the fuel filter or the injector wiring loom? there was also puffs of blue smoke when I was revving it, which does not seem normal.

its strange how the car will not start after cutting out. I would expect if this is entering limp mode (if it is) that this would still start after a cut out. I have to wait a few minutes before trying again and that's me pumping the accelerator pedal. im thinking that replacing the fuel filter might not sort this strange problem! (I hope so)

it is very rough when idling when I experience this hesitant stuttering, only when im going up hill though arrrghhh!

cheers

cammy

Last edited:
Cammy,

When was the filter last changed? Some time ago by the appearance.

RAB

yes it was neglected by myself for too long!!! and your correct the filter has started to corrode so its been a very long time!

i have ordered a new filter which should arrive tues/weds.

as for a scan im awaiting for the maxiscan vag405 to be delivered sametime too :)

lets hope its nothing too serious but im not holding my breath on this :(

can anyone shed any light with the intermittent oil warning light appearing when the engine cuts out after the hesitant starts!

cammy

hi guys,

ok so i decided to change the fuel filter in -3 conditions inside my dads garage tonight! with sheer determination i managed to change the fuel filter and by god was this a pig of a job!

i reckon it took about 3 hrs to change the filter with only a single hitch, that being a hose clip i managed to break when doing the swap over with hoses. after i poured the diesel into a container it was all black in colour...very strange! but the filter was way past its sell by date by several years...i know my fault and wont happen again!

my only gripe is when i reassembled all the pipes into the correct positions it doesnt seem to sit straight and is more at an angle so im hoping this wont cause any problems :/ and the heat shield bolts have sheered off in 4 places so it looks like i will have to get another or improvise by using some kind of strapping as the holes where the bolts are have corroded badly.

i did take it for a test drive at 1130pm tonight and everything is all good....no chugging what so ever :)

i wont be doing any of these filter changes for sometime.....thank god!

thanks for advice guys!

cammy

Good on you, I hope it's all sorted. It may be worth running a bottle of injector cleaner through your next tank of fuel for good measure, should only be about a fiver. If you used a patent filter ? It may be a slightly different shape, I personally wouldn't see that as a problem. If you get some pics up of your heat shield problem I should think you will get some ideas.

All the best hope it goes well, get the car engine nice and warm before you change your oil and filter, it will keep the garage warm in this cold weather plus you will get more old oil out.

It sounds like your original problem was not the fuel filter !!

That gunk will have been the cause.

We had similar symptoms a few years back and it was just after filling up with diesel at a supermarket.

The mechanic was telling me it was the turbo and so I was prepared for a big bill, but when he checked the fuel, it was full of black oily gunk.
We suspect it was caused by contamination at the supermarket.

But you would have had to replace the fuel filter anyway, so nothing is lost.

I just hope you drained all of that gunk away, if so you will be fine for many more thousands of miles!!

I agree with "257" that is almost essential.

So glad you are back on the road and can enjoy your A2 again..

Well done for doing the fuel filter swap, it is a challenge!!

Steve B

Last edited:
thanks guys,

will put some redex stuff in and do a scan with the new maxiscan vag405 that should arrive today :)

cammy

Well done on the filter change.

Im not sure if i will attempt a fuel filter change on my A2

The main difficulty I found when changing mine is that with the later cars the plastic housing becomes brittle with age and the fitting break easily when trying to change the filter inside the housing. In my case it resulted in having to change the whole housing at a cost of around £65 from audi. The new housing comes with the new filter already fitted so if it needs changing again I think I will just buy the hiusing and filter complete from audi as its actually more cost effective in the long run.

Back