Power steering notchy!

Whiskylee

A2OC Donor
Hi all any advice or experience of notchy/slightly delayed steering !

I have found what looks like the power steering reservoir, behind the passenger headlight, not checked the level of fluid as i couldn't see any level marks and wanted to check first, any tips how to check levels & add fluid if needed

All the best

Whiskylee

Hi all any advice or experience of notchy/slightly delayed steering !

I have found what looks like the power steering reservoir, behind the passenger headlight, not checked the level of fluid as i couldn't see any level marks and wanted to check first, any tips how to check levels & add fluid if needed

All the best

Whiskylee
The first thing to check is that there is sufficient fluid and top it up, but if that is the cause then you have to next ask yourself where has it lost fluid, because these are well sealed.

I have never had to top one up so I am not sure about what level to read, but if it is notchy that would only happen if the level was VERY low, so topping up a little would not harm anyway if it is that low.

Steve B

Thanks for the advice Steve, will first check fluid & look for any leakage, I have checked previous posts so it looks like removal of the headlight to access the power steering reservoir

Whiskylee

Thanks for the advice Steve, will first check fluid & look for any leakage, I have checked previous posts so it looks like removal of the headlight to access the power steering reservoir

Whiskylee

Hi,

Look for the min level on the side of the reservoir (as seen below)

power steering level.jpg

Steve B

I think I'm correct in saying that the cap of the reservoir has a built in dipstick, so as long as you're parked on straight and level ground, you can check the levels quite easily by just unscrewing the cap, wiping the little dipstick, re-screwing it in fully and then undoing again to check that fluid is coming to the proper height.

Cheers,

Michael

Thanks for the help, put aprox 1/2 a litre in today, got the fluid from audi stockport £10, will keep checking for any leaks over the next few days

Whiskylee

Thanks for the help, put aprox 1/2 a litre in today, got the fluid from audi stockport £10, will keep checking for any leaks over the next few days

Whiskylee

I am assuming that it has cured the notchy steering at the moment?

Steve B

General tip - If the fluid level was very low the power steering may need bleeding. This simply entails turning the steering wheel from lock to lock a couple of times. Just take it gently and don't 'hold' the steering on full lock as this generates max pressure in the rack. (not good for the seals)

Cheers Spike

I am assuming that it has cured the notchy steering at the moment?

Steve B

Hi Steve yes adding fluid has fixed the notchy steering, I have a clean pice of cardboard under the car to catch any fluid, if it leaks so I have an idea of location, will keep looking at hoses and seals for any fluid leaks
Whiskylee

Back