OSR Drum hot but brakes not binding.

phileeeep

I have had the shoes changed and the brakes work fine - but after a run the OSR drum feels hot. The brakes aren't binding at all though as the car rolls even on the slightest incline.

My current theory is the springs pulling the shoes together have lost their elasticity and that is what's causing it. Is there a complete rear brake kit available? I think I'll replace the handbrake cable and mechanism too as that could be a suspect.

My previous theory was the cylinder not returning but changing that hasn't cured it.

Many thanks in advance for access to your combined knowledge - god save the internet.

Best wishes
Phil

My rear offside drum has been getting hot too. Birchall was kind enough to post some tips for me recently if you do a quick search in maintenenc, under 'advice please'
I have been advised by my friend who does the work as I am useless, that the cable may need changing as everything else appears okay

Sounds like the rear drum brakes aren't set up properly. They should self adjust, but if it's getting hot, then the shoes are making contact even without the handbrake applied.

I rebuilt the rear drums on my A2 last year after suffering a leaking brake cylinder. I renewed the spring kit too. More details here: http://www.gsfcarparts.com/parts/braking/brake-drums-shoes/brake-shoe-fitting-kit

The handbrake cable should be a lot resort as its a pain to fit as mentioned earlier by Spike. Luckily yours is the OSR. I had to renew the fuel filter on mine last month and the cable is buried next to the filter. You can only access by removing the heat shield under the car which usually turns to dust. The 10mm locking nuts either shear when you touch them or have already disintegrated. I took the opportunity to lube the brake cable here where it exits the protective sheath. It then joins with the central brake cable. You can adjust it by removing the plastic cubby behind the handbrake.

If you look at the picture - there are nylon rubbing inserts that the shoes sit against, once the locking springs have been located. Use a little Copperease on them before reinstalling the shoes.

image.jpg

Good luck.

Last edited:
thanks everyone so much. i'm reasonably handy so i'll have a go with the advice given - a quick Q - the wheel cylinder itself has 2 lugs that i guess prevent the shoes from moving - do these lugs sit to the rear of the drum with the shoes in front or should or should i spin them so the the shoes sit behind the lugs? best wishes

Back