Scandinavian headlight side light issues (going beyond simply connecting TFL pin)

John L

A2OC Donor
Hello,

I am wondering if anyone would like to hazard a guess as to what exactly may have been done to my car (and where) to make it such that the parking lights illuminate with ignition but do not work as parking lights.
I understand a modification kit may have been installed on import and think it is the one linked in the attached PDF's.

I have recently fitted the Osram DRL/Fog lights to my car and find that they are great but was only able to disable the parking lights by removing the fuses. This has the downside that it knocks out the rear bulb monitoring system.
So I would like to find a permanent fix. Disconnecting the TFL pin did stop the headlights automatically lighting but left the parking lights illuminated.

This has been bothering me for some time but I have not had the time to pull apart the wiring blindly to solve this problem. Due to the stop start system it would be good to connect the new DRL's using the cabling currently wired to the parking lights and (hopefully) restore the normal operation of the parking lights.

If anyone in Norway/Sweden/Finland has any knowledge of the system or can simply see if their parking lights work I would be most grateful. Also does anyone know specifically where the live feed could be bridged to the parking lights as it is not in the light switch. I know it is not in the switch as this was changed to a UK sourced switch with fog light function. I also suspect (but have yet to test) that the lights will illuminate with ignition even without the headlight switch being connected.

If this is the case it would appear the changed wiring lies between the ignition and the fuse box but where? It is such a frustrating and seemingly simple problem...

View attachment SKMBT_C284e13100216171.pdfView attachment SKMBT_C284e13100216170.pdfView attachment SKMBT_C284e13100216161.pdfView attachment SKMBT_C284e13100216160.pdf

Any help would be most welcome!

John

Light switch connector:
Pin 15, a red wire, is permanent supply to the parking light. Check if you have permanent 12V.
Pin 13, a grey/brown wire is output to rear lights (parking lights).

An easy way to implement "turn off the lights with ignition" is to cut the red wire to the light connector and have it controlled by a relay.

I disconnected pin 15 and all that it did was totally disabled the parking lights.
I want them to function as parking lights but this does not fix that.

Taking out pin 30 prevents pins 13 & 14 from doing anything.

It really does not seem that the mods are so simple to reverse.

Thanks!

Did you check if you have 12V feed on PIN 15 even with ignition is off? If so we know that the 12V supply to the parking light is as original, fine.

Pin 30, what is that?

I think you need to explain exactly which bulbs that are burning when you have the light switch in parking and ignition is turned off?

Nothing lights with ignition off.
When the indicator stalk is put to either side nothing happens. Similarly with pin 15 (labelled as 30 on the switch).

I think you answered my question: Did you check if you have 12V feed on PIN 15 even with ignition is off?
And the answer is no! Correct?

Then you only need to restore 12V constant feed to pin 15

If there is no constant feed surely shielding the pin should not stop the sidelight switch from working?

If you have all the answers, why are you asking? I have given you my answer, and I am not fumbling in the dark. Good luck.

Back