New year, new mot, same ol' emissions fail :(

Verbdog

A2OC Donor
Last few years the emissions have screwed me

2012 - replaced post and pre cat sensors
2013 - replaced main Cat
2014 - replaced main cat again

This year it failed again, CO excessive at both idles, hydrocarbons and lambda outside limits at 2nd idle excessive.

VCDS errors:
17584 Correction behind Cat
16517 Lambda response too slow
17566 MAP implausible signal

Checked for air leaks, re-taped the hoses just in case but found that the pipe to the top of the EGR was not secured - someone had not done up the jubilee clip so had been running like that for at least 4 months.

Replaced MAP and pre-cat O2 sensor, cleared faults, rescanned and all good. Got it back to the MOT tester with an hour to go before the free retest ran out.

fail!!

It seems to be running even richer than before and the tester said the cat could have failed...again? That would be the third in 3 years.

This is the emissions report and the handwritten numbers are from the retest.

A2 mot003.jpg

Sorry but I'm not going to be much help, other than to say it always concerns me to see oil temp and engine speed bypassed.
My diesel failled first time at the MOT (i left the car for them to test) and I'm pretty sure it was done cold. On the retest I made sure I'd been on a long run and made sure it was done straight away. I later found out the testers were known for this.

I suppose my point is try and find someone you can work with to ensure that any changes you make are moving the emissions in the right direction
Good luck
Jonathan

Has it been serviced lately IE new air filter /fuel filter /oil and filter and plugs? As this can have major impact on clean running.
Possibly try some of the cataclean product before the test and see if it helps.
Cheers mike

oil in spark plug well

So, thought I'd follow Mike's advice and check the simple things and all the plugs looked ok until I pulled the last and loads of oil came out with it, seems it had been leaking past for some time.

It's building up from somewhere - valve seals?

Hi was the oil on the electrode part or coating the outside where the plug lead/coil pack fits? it could be the cam cover leaking. cheers mike

Hi Mike, it was in the outside well, so that the plug socket was also covered in oil when taking it out.

So i recon its the cam cover gasket thats leaking into the plug hole and then possibly leaking into the cylinder? was the plug tight?

As tight as the rest and needed a fair push to get it turning.

How is it getting into the hole? I thought it was being forced back up the plug threads and past the sealing washer?

i think if there was that much oil in the cylinder you would have noticed the smoke cloud that would be created at the exhaust or an oil smell. Try leaving the plug out and turning it over?

Was it plug number 1 ? cam belt end? if so it could be oil from careless filling of engine oil?

No, number 4. Mind you with the useless dipstick in these cars overfilling is easy.

Can't say that we've noticed smoke or smell, although the last time I drove it (it's her baby) it did feel rough and sluggish...which running on 3 cylinders would do!

Well that's screwed me, can't take the cam cover off without undoing the timing belts. What I was hoping would be a simple (ish) take off and redo has headed south.

Back