Rough price estimate to fit a tdi engine?

manhattan$

Past Member
Just wondering if anyone knows a rough price to fit a tdi engine?

I am weighing up the cost of either my cylinder head being reconditioned and refitting or the cost of a replacement engine and refitting.

Cheers!

it has been done at home before, so I'd say it's a single-day job. Radiator and slam panel out, disconnect engine, remove, then refit. I'd expect something like £500.

- Bret

Hi Paul,

Whats wrong with your existing cylinder head? What would be needed to repair your existing engine?

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom,
I bought it as a non runner and found that the cambelt had deteriorated and slipped.

The camshaft pulley does not move indicating bent valves.

I havent removed the head as yet.

Would a AMF Polo engine be a suitable swap?

Hi Paul,

Would you therefore be looking for a complete, pre-built cylinder head? I have a bare cylinder head and a load of internals, but not a complete, working assembly that'd be ready to simply bolt on.
The AMF engine from the Polo is suitable, to a large degree. It'll fit perfectly and will happily drive the car, but there's no hole at the bottom for the oil level sensor. This means you've either got to trick the instrument cluster or accept that the car will beep at you every time you switch it on. It'll also mean manually monitoring the oil level more religiously.
If you've got a Polo AMF engine, you'd be better removing the head and transplanting that onto your existing block.

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks Tom.

I noticed a Polo AMF engine for £295, but if it will throw up oil level errors, i think i will leave that one.

A complete good cylinder head really Tom. Something to bolt straight on.

Is the Polo engine a suitable candidate if you swap the sump? From memory the oil level sensor is mounted on the sump ( though I may be wrong!!)

Reason I ask is that I may have a similar dilemma where I may require a new engine

Edit:- had a look tonight, sensor is on very bottom of block just above sump joint!,

So question revised, is it possible to swap sensor into polo block?

Last edited:
Back