Ease of obtaining and changing drivers side air vent unit

Trimley61

A2OC Donor
I have a damaged air vent unit which doesn't turn flaps properly from side to side. Is it easy to remove without damaging the dash? And it looks like on a search that they aren't easily available from new. Any advice appreciated.

They show up most weeks on ebay for about £15-20 each. Not sure if they are available at all new. I need to find the thread again, but from memory it's basically carefully destroying the existing ones, and the replacements clip in with little metal retaining clips. Need to replace the vents in wifes too.

Thank you for the advice. Yes it looked that I would have to damage old unit so thank you for confirming this. Will look around ebay later to find a replacement! .

Hi, I ordered a passenger side vent and I waited for about two weeks as it was on back order. I brutally removed the old unit by cutting into it with side cutters, split it into sections, then the new unit slotted straight in. :)

The old ones can be removed from the dash without butchering the dash or indeed the unit itself. They are held in with metal spring clips and can be pulled out with slow force from the front.

If you need one in Beige(twist) I think I may have one there but will have to check tonight. Let me know if its required.

there is no butchering, cutting or other violence needed, the unit is held in place solidly with metal clips.

<sigh>.

There is *very little* on the A2 which requires destructive force to remove it.... apart from the front face of the glovebox when the mech fails. Everything else is held in place with screws, clips and some ingenuity.

- Bret

Amazing this came up as I need to get a black one as mine just fell apart (4 year old using it as a toy, slamming it back and forth with maximum force), will look for one on the bay and swap it over.
Useful advice as always on the forum.

The old ones can be removed from the dash without butchering the dash or indeed the unit itself. They are held in with metal spring clips and can be pulled out with slow force from the front.

If you need one in Beige(twist) I think I may have one there but will have to check tonight. Let me know if its required.

If Trimley61 doesn't want, I would like. Have you sent off the Brake Res, if not hold a while?

Thanks

If Trimley61 doesn't want, I would like. Have you sent off the Brake Res, if not hold a while?

Thanks

Hi mate, sorry yes I sent it this morning i'm afraid. There would have been room in the box for it as well. Never mind. I'll check tonight and get back to you.

Trimly. If you want a vent without adjuster. I have a pair you can have for the cost of postage. I bought them for the adjuster knob, they work fine, all you'd need to do is removed the centre vane from yours and put it in the new one. Let us know either way.

If you want just the drivers side, you can have only that one.

Edit. They are black.

Chris

Last edited:
I also have both side vents and pair of central vents removed from the dashboard (black) available

Hilary

That's a bit of luck Hilary because I've just been out and I haven't still got the drivers dash vent in beige. Sorry to those who were interested, but I've now got rather a lot of parts and lose track sometimes.

Yes I would like the drivers side vent as mine is black too. Let me know about the cost of postage etc and would be much appreciated.

Hi Chris, thank you for the response. I would like the drivers side air vent unit as mine is also black. Let me know how much the postage is and I will forward my contact details to you.
James.

Hi
To avoid confusion, I have posted the photographs of the centre and side vents onto my thread Breaking for Spares 1.6 fsi Sport

Thanks
Hilary

Hi Chris, thank you for the response. I would like the drivers side air vent unit as mine is also black. Let me know how much the postage is and I will forward my contact details to you.
James.

Hi James.

Just to be clear it doesn't have the adjuster knob, you'll need to transplant yours into it. I'll have to dig it out of the garage. I'll post a pic when I find it.

Chris

Okay Chris that would be much appreciated. I have the original unit in situ with the adjuster knob so will be a case of taking out the central flap to fit.
James.

Back