Water in boot

I found a thread about this a while back; it said something about checking the boot vents behind the bumper. Something about the seals around them failing. The rear bumper was removed to expose the vents. :)

Could be a pain might just drill some holes in boot lol

I'd recommend you sort this John. You'll get mouldy carpet and a car full of condensation. The vents are cheap or you can reseal them with silicone. I wouldn't attempt the bumper removal myself admittedly but if you know someone handy with spanners ( or torx/spline to be accurate) then it's a job worth doing.

Yep, rear vents behind the bumper. It will start to stink if you don't fix it. If you have BOSE it coukd even damage that if it fills up too much.

It is a bit tricky but doable to a conpetent DIYer.

Steve B

Cheers guys well drained all the water out for now just hope the rain keeps off my radio is giving very bad reception as there was that much water in there how long to remove the bumper and does anyone have any pictures of the vent thing please

Many people on this forum have had to fix this problem. I being one of them.
Removal of the bumper is not too bad but does require putting the car on axle stands to remove the rear arch liners (with the rear wheels off). There is a u-tube clip showing bumper removal.

The seals on the vents are very poor and I know some people use silicone sealant, which will work for a period. A better solution is to use proper mastic which does not set hard and adheres better to paintwork.

Geoff

Hi

This shows the position of the Vent (taken during my colour change from silver to white)
In fact the seals were disturbed during this process and so they leaked. The bumper had to be removed and mastic applied to prevent the leak.

Steve B
WHite shell rear vent.jpg

and the other side.
SAM_0197.JPG

Last edited:
thanks for the advice now my radio amp which is in the boot has gone cant pick up anything I do like the car but its nothing but problems and im getting sick of it I will keep the car and do what needs doing but sorry never ever again buy a audi or vw how they hold their money with such bad build quality.

thanks for the advice now my radio amp which is in the boot has gone cant pick up anything I do like the car but its nothing but problems and im getting sick of it I will keep the car and do what needs doing but sorry never ever again buy a audi or vw how they hold their money with such bad build quality.
This is not the best forum to use to slag off cars in the group. Every make of car has the occasional one that has more problems than the rest.

I can see that you are disappointed with yours, i can understand that. But one car with problems doesn't mean the whole group is bad.

You are also talking about a car that is 12 years old and may have been neglected before you bought it.

I am sure that when you have sorted the niggles the car will be a good one.

Steve B

Last edited:

Ive had a whole nightmear list of problems with my A2's but mostly ive found its due to previous owner abuse, lack of maintenance and pure all out bodges with parts broken, bodged up , glued or even just completly missing like my heater control motors , all the conecting rods were either broken or missing and just floating about rattling inside the dash. But the way i see it , it may take time but eventually youl fix these faults one by one and get it serviced up to scratch and youl end up with a car you know inside and out with no faults , just routeen maintenance which every car needs..

Ive found the A2 is really well thought out and put together, although the people who built these cars must be leprechaun's or such and just have really tiny hands as access can be a real nightmear at times ..

Last edited:
I see your point guys and I do like the car but I have owned many cars in my time and to be honest this is a bad car I understand what you are saying but its a 2002 car and for a audi should be good I had a bmw with 260000 miles on the clock and never lost a beat no water leaks nothing never spent a penny apart from wear and tear I do like the a2 its a quirky little car and looks good but sorry my patience is going slow im not judging the brand but audi cars always show their age they never look new like a merc or bm a 10 year old audi is not as nice looking as a 10 year old merc or bm that's what im saying but I will stick with this a2 as I think its the best thing audi have done and should do another one hope you can all see my frustration at the moment oh and you think putting the radio booster in the boot is a good design that's nuts.

I see your point but a merc is a merc rust or not still full of rust wont let in as much water as a a2 and the merc engine will always be better no wonder all the boys in work keep taking the mick calling it the fun bus lol.

It is SOOOO much harder and a hell of a 'lot' more expensive to repair, and to keep rust away, than to spend a day DIY'ing and replacing/re-sealing the vents permanently. Then speak to me about the Auto transmission faults as well as the very expensive 'Start error' faults in the mercedes not to mention all the electrical faults, no way is it better, I know I been there.

I virtually ran the Mercedes V Class helpline over there at the forums for 10 years with my role as is here, and despite selling and leaving forum, I still get emails for help!

As for water leaks, try the rotting roof that lets water down pillars into the cabin and collects in box sections in big puddles under the rear doors, sloshing side to side whilst driving, running along floor into the electrics- untold problems, not good, not good at all Pal :)

Merc engine better? I agree some that are looked after can well do high mileages but so can A2's do the same mileages, the leaking injector issues that cause black tar of death is a big issue too on their diesels.

Sarge

Last edited by a moderator:
Back