Help sought! - platinum seat cloth options

Tulsehilltowers

A2OC Donor
hullo everyone

I'm vey much a greenhorn here, and I've a question that I hope wise and learned veterans can answer!

We have a 2002 TDi 75 SE with platinum trim. Seats at present are standard cloth but I've done my back in and my partner's father - and A2oc member! - has strongly recommended we replace these with sports seats

Now, I can't afford leather and I very much want to keep the interior all platinum because I like the consistency. My question is this: did Audi offer a range of seat colours under platinum, or was there only one? For example, satellite has a different pattern, obviously, but are the bolsters the same colour as the bolsters on standard (Sirus?) cloth - and by extension the same colour as the fabric in the door cards and other parts of my car? It is very difficult to tell from photographs because Platinum can look so different from one picture to another depending on light conditions and camera set up.

Ultimately, what I'd like to avoid is fitting platinum sports seats that are a different colour to the other fabric in the car.

Any and all advice and knowledge very welcome ::)

Cheers!

Richard

Can't help with the various colour options, but if you get some sports seats you will also require the wiring looms to be fitted for the lumbar support. There are several members who can do it for you. Tom, aka Timmus, did an excellent job on my car!

Can't help with the various colour options, but if you get some sports seats you will also require the wiring looms to be fitted for the lumbar support. There are several members who can do it for you. Tom, aka Timmus, did an excellent job on my car!

There is a chance they are already there. My A2 has SE seats (also platinum) but they do have lumbar support.

Thanks guys. Definitely not got the lumbar support at the moment but fingers crossed I've found a set - and I know a fella in Milton Keynes who I hope will do the wiring for me ;)

Tom, aka Timmus, did an excellent job on my car!

Thanks Simon. :)

I had a set of Platinum Sport seats until only earlier this week, but have just fitted them. From the updates on another thread, it seems you've found that Ross' set is still available, which is fortunate. I'll be passing through London within the next week or two and would happily add the necessary looms if needed.

Cheers,

Tom

I managed to get a set of platinum sport seats off ebay for £62 a couple of months ago, they don't command the prices of leather seats, and usually are only sold when someone is breaking a car or has upgraded to leather.

For reference the parts books list only one 'Platinum' trim colour so door cards etc are not linked to the various cloth options available for the seats.

While people generally like sports seats there are exceptions and height / physique can play a big part in what individuals find more comfortable. Could be worth sitting in a car with sports seats before deciding. It's also possible to add lumbar support to standard seats to improve their comfort

Cheers Spike

It's also possible to add lumbar support to standard seats to improve their comfort.

I was intrigued by your comment Spike, so I did a search and found this thread that showed you posted a solution with some photos: http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?21052-Retrofit-Lumbar-Support&p=161229#post161229

You state it's done "by removing the hardware from a set of Sports seats and fitting it to SE seats."

Food for thought.

What sort of competency level, tools and time is required?

- and I know a fella in Milton Keynes who I hope will do the wiring for me ;)

... and it will be good to see you again ;).

Fitting and wiring your seats - no problem - done professionally by trained, qualified and insured technicians in a dry, safe and secure environment - and guaranteed of course.

blue skies
tony

I was intrigued by your comment Spike, so I did a search and found this thread that showed you posted a solution with some photos: http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?21052-Retrofit-Lumbar-Support&p=161229#post161229

You state it's done "by removing the hardware from a set of Sports seats and fitting it to SE seats."

Food for thought.

What sort of competency level, tools and time is required?

Hi Alan

I bought some tatty sport seats specifically for the lumbar parts. At one point I was tempted to make hybrid seats using the Sports backrests and SE squabs. Theory was the backrests give support and squabs make for easy getting in and out of the car - best of both worlds. It looked like the parts would work together but the cost of re-covering put me off.

No special tools, other than a pop riveter to fasten the motor units onto the frame, are required.
Removing the backrest covers is fiddly but you can practice on the sports seats first. Remove the backrest rear panel then working from inside the frame, unscrew the 3 nuts holding the side airbag. Release the headrest locating tubes then peel the cover back. There is also an inner liner covering the foam padding. I can't recall if this or the cover are held in place by a Velcro type material and care is needed not to damage this in the removal process. After this it's down to removing the wire panel and springs, the motor unit and lumbar etc.
Take loads of pictures at each stage, especially the route of the wiring for the lumbar motor and switch etc.

I'd give it a 7 out of 10 for difficulty. Not mechanical - but working on the upholstery without stretching or damaging anything is a pain

Next is the wiring. If you don't want to tackle this yourself, want to sit in the comfort of your own home, watch your own TV and drink your own coffee while the job is expertly done for you, I know a man that can.

Cheers Spike

Many thanks Spike. I'm sure many will now be tempted and the price of sport seat will rise on ebay ;)

Back