Econ button

Axit

A2OC Donor
United-Kingdom
The Mysterious ECON Button: on new ownership of course you press all the buttons to find out what they do,..

Then on pressing and releasing the wonderful ECON button; it only seems to illuminate the red on light and that's it.

You then realise Ahh, it reduces the fan speed on the A/C requiring less power, `Clever`..

On research in your owners manual, it tells you it reduces engine power, therefore increasing economy,.. Brilliant..

On my 1.4 petrol pumping out a massive 75 bhp, or 55kW, it reduces the power to 30kW, personally I would prefer a button that increases the power by 25kW.
(I`ve been sitting with a calculator attempting to get the power reduction as a percentage,..and given up, but its almost halve..)

You can see how the Germans had this technology, but then realised, it was a wasted button, most people if given the option would not use it. look at how much wear is on our other buttons compared to the ECON button.

Why would you buy a more powerful car, to then reduce its power by using the ECON button..

So the Germans obviously thought where can we use this technology obviously not as a driver option in the Cabin..

Of course mein fuerer, TESTING,.. and the rest is history..

Thank you for reading my daily thought... and remember if you ever have problems with emissions,.. you have a simple solution..

I`m tempted to remove the `E` from my ECON button, then I wouldn't have to explain it to people.. John

Mine must be a formula one spec as I've not noticed any difference in performance. ( have I misunderstood this thread ? )

Hi John,

I think you've misunderstood what the ECON button does.

Pressing it, and the light illuminating disables the use of air conditioning, hence saving fuel as engine load is reduced. Also, on TDI models, use of the button prevents auxiliary heating being used. :p

With the light not lit, the climate control unit can request air conditioning as it sees fit to maintain the selected temperature.

The ECON button has no effect on engine power, and if anything, less load on the engine will result in slightly more useable power. :)

Regards,

Matt.

Reactions: dlp
The ECON button on the climate control panel does not affect the power output of the engine. It disables air conditioning and the Webasto heater (if fitted).
Confusion arises here because of the ECO button, which was only fitted to 1.2TDIs. The ECO button does affect engine output power, but you'll not have such a button unless you own a left-hand-drive A2 with an automated gearbox.

Cheers,

Tom

On my 1.4 petrol pumping out a massive 75 bhp, or 55kW, it reduces the power to 30kW, ....

John, did you read that in the manual?

FYI, on the continent there was an A2 1.2 TDi model that had an economy mode that reduced the power from 60 bhp (45 kW; 61 PS; ) to 41 bhp (31 kW; 42 PS). The economy mode also invoked Start/Stop, free wheeling, and made the decision when to change gear (using the Triptronic gearbox). Official fuel economy was 95 mpg but users do achieve over 100 mpg on long runs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_A2#1.2_TDI_.223L.22

So, some brilliant engineering from the Germans, unfortunately just a bit ahead of their time.

PS Have you seen the recent thread on the Electric Cabin Heater http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?29034-Electric-cabin-heater Includes discussion about the Climate Control ECON function.

Yeah fair enough it looks as though ive confused the econ with the eco button,...

oh well it was just an idea.......... John

Yeah fair enough it looks as though ive confused the econ with the eco button,...
oh well it was just an idea.......... John

No probs! I've often thought that ECON was a poor name for the button. [Climate Control] ON/OFF would be simpler and clearer. No doubt the official fuel figures were done with the ECON off. Yes CON might be a better label in today's VW climate.

Back