3D Domed lettering on number plates???

Stuebydoo

A2OC Donor
Has anyone seen these new numberplates that have raised lettering on them. It's like a gel coat to make them appear more like the German stamped plates, but they're still reflective and apparently road legal.

I need to change my front plate, so thinking about doing both and getting this new thing because it looks quite nice. (I like the German plates, but know they're not legal, so I won't use them).

sn-lg-domed-text.jpg

If you are 100% sure they are legal then go for it, it is nice to have a personal touch like that.

I am not sure that they really are 100% legal though, but only because of the font that has been used?

Those W's don't look like the W that is the official font?

It is only a small thing and I probably wouldn't worry about it, you are unlikely to have problems with the police because I have seen a lot worse fonts used.

I do like them and would consider using them myself, but as I say I don't believe that they are legal, but they are probably close enough.

Steve B

The really big improvement with number plates, IMHO, is a decent surround! I have seen £30,000 - £40,000 cars, straight from a Dealers, with cheap and nasty reg. plates! I made my own front backing-plate from sheet aluminium and the slight oversize allowed me to make a surround in chrome edging-tape. The rear plate is mounted on a plastic "chrome-effect" surround. Both the front and rear plates are flush and stud-free, for easy cleaning and improved appearance. Somehting that has always intrigued me .... why hasn't anyone thought of back-lighting the number plates, for night-use?

David

They would have to conform to BSAU145D standards which includes tests for weathering, impact resistance and bending before being declared legal ?.

18. Will the number plates show the makers details and the legal markings 'BSAU145d'?

Yes our plates will show these markings because this is what the UK law requires for plates which are used in the UK. People seem to think that we put these markings on the number plates because it gives us free advertising. This is most certainly not the case. We put these markings on there because it is required by law and your car could very well fail an MOT without these markings. The markings are only approximately 2.5mm high and although they can be read, they are really small and do not interfere with the plates design. The markings have to be on plates made by companies within the UK for plates used within the UK to assist the police in the reduction of car cloning. If a set of our number plates are used in crime then the police know who made them and they will come to us to ask who they were sold to.

Fully legal according to their site

had a set of normal plates black letters started to fade under a year old so purchased a set of aluminium/ black gel put on my A2 with Audi sport surrounds not sure I like the letter W on them or maybe not use to them yet. also just bought a set normal plate with German letters to compare or go back to normal ones.

If the black gel or German style are not legal how can they say there are legal on the web site when buying, can any one confirm if these two styles are legal or not

William

why hasn't anyone thought of back-lighting the number plates, for night-use?

David

They have. 3m in Germany do it. It's a major pain to retain reflectivity and let light through at teh same time....they're around €99 each IIRC and only available with German numbers.

- Bret

They have. 3m in Germany do it. It's a major pain to retain reflectivity and let light through at teh same time....they're around €99 each IIRC and only available with German numbers.

- Bret

I'm suggesting back-lighting that would have to be built-in at the Manufacturing stage, or something that I could design? I am talking about a recess behind the number plate(s) with LED, uniform lighting. The number-plate material transmits (some) light, but the actual registration number doesn't. I would have to look at a prototype to assess it effectiveness.

David

I'm suggesting back-lighting that would have to be built-in at the Manufacturing stage, or something that I could design? I am talking about a recess behind the number plate(s) with LED, uniform lighting. The number-plate material transmits (some) light, but the actual registration number doesn't. I would have to look at a prototype to assess it effectiveness.

David

They did this years ago on one of the TVR's I think the boot light lit it from inside iirc

37c8f0e6a87d01f83453aca99823005e.jpg

You could do it with EL sheets, but I'm not sure how well they would work against the weather and salt etc.

I've got some new plate surrounds coming too, my A2 still has it's original Autohaus ones on from when it was new and they're a bit faded. Replacing with new Autohaus Audi ones when I change the plates. Should make it look a little nicer on the front.

They did this years ago on one of the TVR's I think the boot light lit it from inside iirc

37c8f0e6a87d01f83453aca99823005e.jpg

That looks great! I'm going to look at this, now, and see about cutting a recess in the rear hatch .... I've already done this for my illuminating "Audi" rear emblem, so I know what's involved.

David

The rear boot panel is relatively easy to remove. I've got two here if anyone fancies experimenting.

Wow! That's a great find! What had started as a rather zany idea of mine seems to be completely feasible! What about the front plate, though? It isn't normally illuminated, but I think it could look good? What about legality?
Steve, you talk about the boot panel, but you are talking about the complete boot opener, aren't you? There is no separate panel, it's all one piece? I think that there's plenty of space to fit a recessed "box" into boot-lid, corresponding to the number-plate position.
This has captured my imagination and I'm already planning how I can achieve this illuminated plate effect! Oh, here's surrounds ready for those translucent plates! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Backlit-N...used-by-TVR-/321943899971?hash=item4af55a0f43

David

Last edited:
The 3M plates that are based on the TVR model are £30, made-up. I bet that you could add a "0" to the cost from this Company .... and maybe more! Impressive, though, and thought-provoking. I'd much rather design my own and keep the cost right down .... I see that everything is legal, so no problem there .... The Firm that you have shown do use LED illumination, and solid plastic, raised numerals. They might even supply just the plates? It's usually the labour charge that makes it expensive?

David

Wow! That's a great find! What had started as a rather zany idea of mine seems to be completely feasible! What about the front plate, though? It isn't normally illuminated, but I think it could look good? What about legality?
Steve, you talk about the boot panel, but you are talking about the complete boot opener, aren't you? There is no separate panel, it's all one piece? I think that there's plenty of space to fit a recessed "box" into boot-lid, corresponding to the number-plate position.
This has captured my imagination and I'm already planning how I can achieve this illuminated plate effect! Oh, here's surrounds ready for those translucent plates! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Backlit-N...used-by-TVR-/321943899971?hash=item4af55a0f43

David

Hi David. No the panel the numberplate sits in is plastic and separate from the actual metal tailgate. It's been a while since I removed the ones I've got but they are simply clicked in from what I remember.

Back