turbo viewing location

Mr Angry

A2OC Donor
hi guys,

can someone tell me the best way to locate pipes, tubes etc... going to and from the turbo! i tried the search via google but cant find proper photos on how to access the turbo.

can i get to them from underneath the car via ramps or do i need to strip down more parts in the engine bay like i did 2 weeks ago. im still getting the loss of power resulting in limp mode when i hit a steepish hill and its doing my head in.

cheers

cammy

Has it been scanned yet - that should help to pinpoint the problem. Normally if there is a boost leak you will hear the whistling sound whereas if it's over boosting and going into limp mode that suggests a wastegate problem.

Simon.

hi guys,

can someone tell me the best way to locate pipes, tubes etc... going to and from the turbo! i tried the search via google but cant find proper photos on how to access the turbo.

can i get to them from underneath the car via ramps or do i need to strip down more parts in the engine bay like i did 2 weeks ago. im still getting the loss of power resulting in limp mode when i hit a steepish hill and its doing my head in.

cheers

cammy

Do you know when the fuel filter was last replaced and have you recenttly (prior to the problem appearing) filled up at a cheap supermarket filling station?

It could be gunge in the tank.

Steve B

this might sound silly but when i lose power and it goes into limp mode its on the same hill every day when i come home from work.

i do have oil seeping out from somewhere so im assuming its got something to do with pipes around that area but i could be wrong :/ if i knew where to locate the proper piping and follow it to see if something has come loose or a clip has been broken then i can take photos and let you guys see for sure.

my only problem is where to start with looking. can i do it from underneath the car using my ramps or do i need to dismantle several parts in the engine area before seeing them. if there are any photos then this would be great :)

i took some photos in an earlier thread i posted a week or so ago but i could only get some side photos, which didnt show much.

cheers

cammy

thanks spike,

i will get under the car hopefully this weekend under the ramps and investigate further. if i have everything off i will do my best to take a photo of the pipes you describe and post it on here :)

fingers crossed that its something simple like you mentioned and not drastic!

thanks for input guys

cammy

Hi Cammy,

With the car on the ramps, you can see the turbo from underneath. I'm assuming you know what the turbo looks like and are able to identify the turbine side and the compressor side.
On the right-hand-side of the engine, at the very bottom, beneath the cam belt, you'll see a large, black plastic pipe. This pipe is connected to the compressor side of the turbo via an S-shaped rubber hose at one end and to the intercooler via another rubber hose at the othe end. So, the compressed air starts at the turbo, enters an S-shaped rubber hose, then enters the black plastic pipe, then enters another rubber hose before entering the intercooler. These sections, their junctions and the intercooler need to be thoroughly checked.
Now look into the engine bay from above. The compressed air exits the intercooler at the top and immediately enters another rubber hose. From there, it's fed into the large L-shaped metal pipe that travels right around the top of the engine. At the end of that L-shaped pipe, near the back of the engine, there's a 90 degree section of rubber hose that connects to the EGR valve. Again, this entire section ought to be inspected.

I hope that helps. There are other possible causes of underboost issues, but inspecting the path of the compressed air is a good place to start.

As Spike mentions above, it could be related to the thin (5mm) turbo control hoses. On the compressor side of the turbo, you should see three of these thin hoses. The green one connects to the wastegate actuator. The thinner black one connects to the compressor housing and the thicker black one connects to the top of the intake pipe, just prior to the compressor wheel.

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:
Great response Tom. I wanted to reply to the thread with an explanation but couldn’t put into words how to examine it; i'm more hands on.

Last edited:
Hi Cammy

Since our chat a few days ago I've been thinking about the issue you describe. The turbo was rebuilt by our technical partners and re-fitted to your by ourselves car on 14 December 2015. Part of our process is to thoroughly inspect all components and replace as necessary. The vacuum hoses to and from the turbo would have been part of this inspection and from memory we replaced some with high grade silicone hoses. Although quite possible, I doubt the issue you have lies with these hoses - I say this because your car seems to perform normally except when you drive on a particular stretch of road. By all means, check the smaller vacuum hoses to the turbo as well as the larger pressure hoses to the intake manifold but try get the car scanned for DTC's as well.

From the detail you give, the fault seems to appear when travelling up a steep hill and whilst you would be placing demand on the turbo I would ask how much fuel is in the tank. Perhaps as an exercise you could try with a full tank of fuel and see if the issue re-occurs. Steve's advice to check the quality of fuel and the filter is also very sound.

Hope this helps - remember too that the turbo is still under warranty. Perhaps a trip to MK for some magic is called for?

blue skies
tony

Back