A2 1.4 petrol Stalling issues

Ok, so I bought an A2 and it runs pretty sweet, no fault codes (not including the intermittant power steering fault, clears on restart). It ticks over right around 700 rpm and over all runs smooth, so I am pleased.

However, there is one problem i occasionally have. I have looked though the interweb to find similar problems, but have found nothing that fits what I am experiencing and also I have experienced stalling on cars before, just not like this, so I thought I would throw it in there in case some one else has seen this.

As I said, the car runs smooth, you drive about with no issues then you come to a set of traffic lights and stop, still no problem it just sits there ticking over. Then when you go to pull away, (sometimes) the car just insta dies (it seems touching the throttle was the cause). in fact it almost seems that there is a "throttle lag" going on.

I know that this car uses a pair of peteniometers thingys (one on the accel-pedal and i think another on the throttle body) and people often look to those first, but I know that there are also many other things that could be the cause such as dirty throttle body, EGR problems (does this car have an EGR?), or possibly MAF (not sure about the MAF).

So if there is anyone who has experienced this stalling on pulling away any pointers would be great. Thanks in advance

EDIT:

After further searching i discovered this post on another forum...

(External link)
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=1&f=86&t=319544

In the post the OP reports a problem exactly like the one im having, and the general response is that it is the fly by wire system at fault, and there is nothing that could be done to resolve it (its normal behaivour according to the replies).

My car is said to have had a new clutch recently, so i guess it could be that it bites before i realise it. I will try to replicate the fault with the clutch fully depressed.

This has now been resolved by removing and cleaning the throttle body.

Last edited:
When I first drove a 1.4 petrol A2 I found that they stall easily too. Think it's more of a characteristic than a fault that can be overcome when becoming more used to the car.

When I first drove a 1.4 petrol A2 I found that they stall easily too. Think it's more of a characteristic than a fault that can be overcome when becoming more used to the car.

Yes, that is true.

Can I hazard a guess? I am probably wrong, but did you have a diesel car befor ethis one?

The reason I ask is because I have been very used to driving Diesel A2s and they never seem to stall. As soon as i drove a 1.4 petrol A2 I stalled it very often. It just needs a slightly different driving style with more revs than the diesel.

That could be it.

But don't believe any nonsense about it being because they are fly by wire and so nothing can be done. I am not sure that they would have sold many cars if they stalled all of the time!

Steve B

Yep, don't be afraid to rev it a bit when setting off.

Yes !!!

I also found the petrol A2 to be so quiet at tickover that I was often sure that the engine had stalled when I pulled up (it hadn't of course)

Steve B

Thanks for all your responses.

I havent had a diesel in a long time, but that said, its been over a year since my last car (another 4 months ish and I would have lost my 10 year ncb). Having seen your comments and acutually driving the car (which I love more and more every time, its great fun) I have come to the conclusion that it is probably my poor use of the new clutch most of the time.

due to the age of the car I will have a go at cleaning the throttle body when I get a chance, as some of the time it does seem like something is sticking for a split second. I found a PDF guide on the A2OC forums that I downloaded for when I do it.

It's not just the fact that it's a petrol. I definitely find the 1.6 to be a lot more forgiving than the 1.4 was. You do get used to it though, so don't worry.

I would replace fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator, why not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would replace fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator, why not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did think fuel filter change would be sensible, popping to a dealer tomorrow to get some power steering fluid, so Ill ask about the filter, not sure about the other one as I dont wanna bite off more than I can chew.

Also I just noticed the power steering has no cap on the filler, I doubt its something Audi will supply, that is just plain annoying (the fact that its missing i mean)!

Resolved

I removed and cleaned the throttle body today, it was pretty caked up in there. Took the car on a 60 mile run and didnt have one stall at all.
Had to pull the battery power for 5 mins to get it idling nicely as it was a little erratic after the cleaning.
Happy days ;)

EDIT:
I wanted to update this thread in case any one had a similar problem. My stalling is now resolved, but I dont think it was the throttle body cleaning that did it.

When I cleaned the throttle body I also cleaned the pipe comming from the crankcase breather, I think it was cleaning this pipe that resolved the problem, however the problem did come back after a week or so. So I attacked the problem again, and this time I removed and cleaned the crankcase breather/oil seperator. I should have bought a new one as the seals on this unit harden, but as I didnt have the money for a new unit I just used some sealant and it did the job. The crankcase oil seperator was full of gunk and crap, i mean completly full. Once I had cleaned the oil seperator (its a black plastic box thingy on the crankcase between the engine and the bulkhead) the problem completly went away and the engine became much more responsive when pulling away from idle. I did this a few weeks ago and the problem has not returned.

Last edited:
Dude,

Excellent results and report. I am having exactly the same issues and so will be doing the same as you and giving it a big old clean.

Cheers

Back