Repair for spare wheel fixing bracket - advice welcome

Darren C

Admin Team
Evening folks,

I'm looking to pool some thoughts/expert advice on a possible fix for the spare wheel bracket. When I retro-fitted it, I unfortunately didn't have the threads in place to accommodate the screws of the front edge of the bracket. I made do with some self-tapping screws which have held 'fine' - albeit never perfect screwing into thin plastic. Replacing the battery obviously necessitated removal of the bracket. Replacing it and I have needed to use larger screws as the ones I used previously were slightly suspect - the holes obviously enlarged slightly. The larger ones are ok, but it isn't rock solid or a long-term solution. The weight of the wheel itself will keep the bracket in place and the other bolts hold firm.

The plastic is very thin, but I am wondering if a fix like a cavity wall plug might be an option. Does anyone have a better suggestion or know of metal threaded insert that I could use instead?

Any help appreciated.

Library pictures below for reference - can't enlarge them as on the iPad.

Thanks.

Darren

image.jpeg

It might be possible to use 'helicoil' inserts, though I am unsure how much plasitic you have got to play with in that area.

Geoff

Thanks Geoff; I had considered that too, but I'm not certain that a helicoil will work in that area. I could easily be wrong mind; it won't be the first time. I'll keep it on the radar.

Appreciate the reply; many thanks.

Darren

i think there 4 or 5mm threads in the steel plate that the plastic wheel holder bolts to , you might be lucky and just run a tap through and clean the threads up and buy a couple of new flat head bolts , if not you might be lucky and be able to use the bumper lower fixing bolts, stone guards too, as they have a coarse thread self tapper with a flat head.

-Gary

You can retrieve the factory threads from a breaker and insert them instead, they screw in.

A quick guide, get a spare bolt with standard thread (usually 13mm bolt) that is long enough to put a nut on and then screw into the original brass coloured inserts, then tighten the nut onto it ensuring you don't allow the bolt to rotate. Then when white tight simply undo the bolt and it should bring out the original threaded insert. If it slips tighten nut a little tighter and then try again.

Fitting is a reverse but to get it started I gave a god few swift knocks with a hammer to get it started.

I did have some but just used them on my car to do very same retrofit.

Give me a shout if you need any more detail.

Sound advice - thank you very much indeed. A good idea and one, although perhaps obvious, I hadn't given due consideration.

Thanks to all for the counsel; appreciate the help and community spirit shown.

Thank you ever-so-much Paul; this forum never ceases to amazes me, generosity, help, support and community.

I'll drop you a PM re: payment and address. Thank you.

PaulA2 said:
Darren, you are in luck! In my hoarding box I have 2 left. Included is bolt to insert them, sadly don't have the correct bolts to screw frame down but these should help.

Just a follow up to say thank you once again to Paul, who not only went scavenging through his parts bin at a late hour, but who also had the items in the post the following day (Saturday) and with me on the Monday. So thank you Paul and to all who offered options/alternative solutions. Hopefully this thread (no pun intended) will be a useful reference for anyone retrospectively seeking to fit the spare wheel bracket and who, like me, does not have the threads in place to locate the front bolts from the factory.

Job is a good'un!
DSC_0016.JPG
DSC_0017.JPG
DSC_0019.JPG
DSC_0020.JPG

Last edited:
Back