Audi A2 purchase

I have acquired a 2001 'Y' Audi A2, it is a 1.4 Tdi, not sure if its 75 or 90 BHP, any ideas how I can find out without a rolling road?

Guy at work bought it in Nov 2015, to use as his 110mile a day to work and back 'workhorse' and it has done 30k in the last 12 mths.

He stopped using it as it started losing water, and a garage has said it's a Head Gasket Failure, quoted £500 to repair. He now has another car to use for work and this was in the way, he put 4 tyres on in Dec at a cost of £300, and wanted that or as close as that as poss..I was happy to leave it as didn't really need another car, and only wanted something to practice a Head Gasket repair on, anyways he came back to me this morning, saying

'come collect it, and if you fix it give me something then, if you don't, and you scrap it, then so be it'

So here it is,

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

It has 148k on it, needs a good clean, and suspected HG sorting, I drove it back to Weymouth, and have done about 50-60miles in it already, and it hasn't overheated once, temp gauge hasn't gone above 90 midway on the dash

IMG_0444.jpg

There is a leak, but not had much chance to have a full gander as yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Warren,

I know nothing about closed threads but Im sure someone more knowledgeable will be along soon.

A quick google search answers the question in the closed thread.

Your car is a 75 BHP.

Also you can find out what advisories it had at the last MOT and get the garage to check the condition the suspect item.

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk

Good luck with the repairs.

Kind regards,

Tom

Hi Warren

Welcome to the club.

I think it was more likely that you clicked a button to close the thread rather than it being closed by someone.

Good luck getting the tdi back on the road.

ahh, well that was clumsy of me lol

Thanks for the welcome, Its not a bad motor for free...I have another long term project up and running aswell, I've converted a Mk3.5 Golf Cabriolet from 2.0 8v Auto to 2.0 16v Manual, and that take lots of my spare time up at the min. I'll have to share my time equally between the 2 now.

Apologies that your thread was closed this morning. A member of the moderating team closed it because they had got a virus message with the original photobucket links. I checked it out and it is all ok. I have made your images show properly on the forum and merged the three threads. I think a couple of posts got lost but the main one is all sorted. Sorry again for the inconvenience and good luck with your A2.

It will be a 75hp and it is a 'Y' plate, they never did a 90hp tdi at that time. Also 90's have rear disk brakes and not drums, and the TDI badge has a red 'I' not silver.

Euan

Last edited:
Ahh, thanks for replying...sorry about the virus messege, I don't know what happened there then...

Thanks for the info, can't wait to get stuck in now,it'll be mostly a weekend thing, and I'll be asking for some advice no doubt..

Thanks again

not had 5 minutes to get on with this, it was 1/2 term for my daughter this week, so have had my mother-in-law down, will update when i get on it,

Back