Alloy Wheel Refurb. - Help

SnubNose

Does anyone know what colour or how/where to get an exact match for the paint used (and is it paint and laquer?) on the standard 6 spoke 16” Alloy Wheels on the SE.
On one of my wheel are a couple of light scratches on one of the spokes (not the typical kerb damage). If I can get a good match, and a hour or two of tlc, the wheel will look perfect.
Kind Regards in anticipation….

Thanks Spike, interesting web site

I think that your suggestion of Avus Silver is the one, but I tried the New Stealer at Hatfield (as much use as a chocolate teapot!!), they only do paint for the bodywork & not the wheels, I think, it was difficult to understand their "english".
I may try another Stealer or even a wheel repair shop and see what they use on the Audi wheels.
Any other suggestions of where to find the correct paint from other members gratefully welcomed.

Hi
You could try wandering into the showroom and 'borrowing' an Avus Silver colour sample and try it against your wheels. Personally I don't think there will be a different paint version for bodywork and the alloys.
Not sure what the last digits on the wheel part nos refer to as the attached link (American) gives a completely different paint code for Avus Silver. Fill in the form using 2002 AUDI TT as the reference car

http://www.paintscratch.com

Cheers Spike

Last edited:
Stealers aren't all useless!!!!

Thanks for your continued help Spike - much appreciated.

I actually got to the StansteadAudi Stealer yesterday and they were top banana!! Straight to the details of the wheels and the Z17 (that you suggested) turns out to be the paint code. £11 for the Spray & Laquer set, he has to order them & they will be in Wednesday.

As soon as I get them I let you know if it's a good match.

Thanks again

Yeah I look forward to your results too. It looks like the previous owner took an angle grinder to my alloys, either that or they thought you were meant to 'bounce' off the kerbs as a matter of course!! :eek:

The Paint has arrived from Audi – Avus Silver with a part number of LLS 0M6 Z17 which is a 2 part set (Paint & Lacquer) that cost £11.19. On my 16” SE - 6 Spoke alloys it’s not a bad match – so the Avus Silver must be the correct colour.

I smoothed the damage with a small file and wet & dry paper, then used a grey filler/primer, once dry flattened with the wet & dry. I sprayed the paint into the cap and used a fine brush, which I think put it on a bit thicker and possibly a bit darker. The lacquer over the top makes it nice and shiny with a good finish. For larger damage I’m sure that light coats of the silver spray would give an even better match.

I also tidied up a spare wheel that I bought from Ebay for just £20 (the wheel was very good with just one small mark on the rim, but the tyre had to be replaced, fortunately I kept the best tyre when I replaced them last month – Result!!). I now have a spare that is as good as new for about £30.

I’m not sure how this paint will last on the wheels as it is not specifically wheel paint, but it looks okay at the moment!

Kind Regards

Back