Slow retracting seat belt

Alan_uk

A2OC Donor
There was a discussion on slow retracting seat belts back in 2002 with a number of people reporting the problem but no solutions.

I've caught the buckle between the door and the door frame a couple of times and made small marks on the paint work. Today I was in a hurry and slammed the door closed behind me - then heard a sharp bang. This time I've taken a small gouge of metal out of the door pillar :-( At least it is inside, so only seen when the door is open. Can one get touch up paint in Halfords or is it a trip to Audi via the bank for a loan!

Is the tension adjustable?

Hi Alan
If your car is still in warranty the dealer should fix the seat belt.
Halfords only seem to stock the most popular touch-up paint colours nowdays so you may have to save up and visit Audi. Don't forget to take the paint code which is listed in the front of the service book.

Cheers Spike

touch up paint

halfords do touch up paint for audi £9.99.i think they do a2 colours.

Alan_uk said:
There was a discussion on slow retracting seat belts back in 2002 with a number of people reporting the problem but no solutions.

Is the tension adjustable?

Same problem here.
My dealer told me that thay gave the seat belt some sort of anti-static treatment in order to cure it. I doubt it...
Anyway, it worked well for a few months then, but it is starting to slow down again now.

The mechanisme is not to difficult to reach, IMO. Just remove the b-pillar covers. Takes a bit of pulling but if you do it carefully nothing will break permanently ;)
Once open you might see if it is dusty or anything. Perhaps spray some silicon or teflon spray in limited areas (don't drench the belt itself!)

Bottom line: as the dealer nicely first. Then try it for yourself.

Thanks guys for your replies

<i>Bottom line: as the dealer nicely first. Then try it for yourself.</i>

Will do plus the misting problem. And I shall have a look in Halfords for some touch up.

swiv said:
Same problem here.
My dealer told me that thay gave the seat belt some sort of anti-static treatment in order to cure it. I doubt it...
Anyway, it worked well for a few months then, but it is starting to slow down again now.

The mechanisme is not to difficult to reach, IMO. Just remove the b-pillar covers. Takes a bit of pulling but if you do it carefully nothing will break permanently ;)
Once open you might see if it is dusty or anything. Perhaps spray some silicon or teflon spray in limited areas (don't drench the belt itself!)

Bottom line: as the dealer nicely first. Then try it for yourself.
They Probably did spray the unreeled seat belt with silicon spray to make it slide more easily ,its a trick that classic car owners use on the seatbelts.

Last edited:
Back