fuel tank capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

fdebeul

I just acquired an A2 TDI model 2002. When I asked the salesguy if it already had the bigger fuel tank, he showed me the brochure where a capacity of 42 liters is mentioned.My astonishment was great when the car told me to refill I just was able to put 27 liters in.
Does that mean I have still the small fuel tank of 34 liters ?
I thought all 2002 models had the larger fuel tank.
Am I wrong?

Frederik

I think the tank size was increased on the 2003 models

Andrew - 2003 1.4 TDI Silver Climate

Yep. And that's I'm trying to be careful and not be lumbered with a 2002 car that masquerades as a 2003. The 2003 model brochure was introduced in July 2002, but I doubt there are any 2003 models delivery before September 2002.

I don't think there is a difference in price between a used 2002 and a used 2003 as the differences in spec are not obvious. I think all Sport models are 2003 because they were introduced with the 2003 model, but SE and standard models you have to check more thoroughly I think.

Other than draining the fuel tank and refilling it, how an you tell a 2003 from a 2002? Does the VIN number say?

The 2002 SE spec has Climate Control as standard where as the 2003 SE spec model its an Option.. The change in Wiper (single piece flexable thing, instead of traditional style metal frame rubber blade)..

Lee,
TDI SE,
Dolphin Grey,
6 Disc Changer (Fitted by me)

If you saw the July 2002 brochure the capacity for the fuel tank on the diesel has an asterix (*). Underneath it says 'check with dealer for date of change'. It was changed during the summer of 2002, when they started fitting CDs on the SE as standard and reduced the prices. If yours was manufactured before about 1 August 2002 odds are it will be the small tank. The diesel I found was registered in October 2002 and the tank is 42 litres.

I don't think it's that simple - we ordered our car in June 2002, it was delivered in mid August and it has the larger fuel tank. We also have a carpeted tray under the handbrake for storing stuff (ideal for phone, keys etc.) which I've not seen in any other car, and we certainly didn't choose it as an option (although it is wonderfully useful).

I think they just use whatever they have to hand when they build the car.

Neil - Aug 02 1.4SE Petrol. Brilliant Blue. Yellow/Black Interior, Symphony, Open Sky, Climate, DIS, Multi-function wheel

I understand that the model year changes at week 18, so Neil yours will be a 2003 model.

Neil,

The little tray under the handbrake appears when there is no space in the centre console for a tray. This happens when you order SatNav+ or Symphony as these are both double DIN height units.

If you order the basic SatNav system and Symphony then you get one and a half slots under the handbrake, the SatNav control button is placed in the remaining half.

Dave

1.6SE

Neil P - as you state yours is a petrol. Only the diesel came fitted with the smaller 35 litre tank, it was upgraded to the 42 litre tank as fitted to the petrol versions during last summer. The reason it took me so long to find the model I wanted was down to the size of the fuel tank - loads available with a small tank very few with the larger tank.

Hi!
I was very proud of myself since I've managed to squizzzzzzzz 41 liters on a tank that I "though" it was a 35'er! :D LOL!!!!

Now you guys told me that I have a 42 liters tank! [:0]

....I so unhappy... :(

Hey what you worried about! A TDI with 35 ltr tank should still give you at least 360 miles. My 1.2 TDI only has a 21 ltr tank! The new model has 35 ltr as option on D3 model but the Euro 4 (D4) still has 21 ltr tank.

Still with average between 67 (hard driving on M+S tyres) and 88 mpg (warm weather) i can't complain!

Lukas

First A2 1.2 TDI in UK
Style pack + Chorus + Advance pack + winter wheels + iRiver MP3CD

I've just filled mine up, again. It took 35.05 litres and filled up only a few miles after the low fuel warning bleated at me. Mine was registered in Sept 2002, does this mean I have a small one? I don't tend to do hundreds of miles in one go, so doesn't really bother me what size it is!

Fi

2002 TDi Sport Cobalt Blue

I think there are supposed to be 5.5 litres left when it bleats, so at a guess you've got a big tank

fdebeul

From what you say you certainly have a 34 litre tank. You can check this by looking at the VIN number of your car. It is probably visible at the bottom of your windscreen. If the number just before the letter "N" in your VIN number is a "2" then you have an '02 model. If it is a "3" then you have an '03 model. Eg. my car is WAUZZZ8Z82N009813 - '02 model, built 17.09.01. Only 2003 model cars have the 42 litre tank.

Be positive. You could go, say from Calais/Brussels/Dortmund/Salzburg to the south coast of France (1000 kilometres) or Penzance to Aberdeen (695 miles), with only one stop to refill your 1.4TDi. I think that's plenty.

Chivers ':)'
'02 A2 1.4TDi SE

on another positive
a smaller tank is a lighter tank witch surely follows the concept of the A2. your car does not have to hall around 7ltrs of fuel all day? thankfully filling stations have LARGE tanks

BUMPER 2000 1.4 SE Cobalt blue

Ours is 1.4 Tdi SE bought June 2002. Older style wiper blade!

We fill a full tank every 4-5 days.

When I drive the car, once it has bong'd I try to drive 35-45 miles before I fill up, once refilled I can only get around 31 litres in the tank. And if memory serves this is around £21.

I pressume ours is a 34 litre tank?

I also think the bong is quite generous, as I have once driven 55 miles after it went off.

...Just on the subject of wipers... I have found new 2003 models at the dealers that have the older style wiper arm, so go only knows what fuel tanks they have?

Az

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back