Airbag Help!!!

mikey-boy

:confused: Hi all, hope i haven't just made a costly mistake....have today bought an A2 1.6 FSI for my wife as a 'bigger' car to carry our new daughter in...stupidly i forgot about the airbags and i now find the front ones can't be turned off...does anyone know if, because of the side airbags, it's safe to put a rear-facing child seat in the back of an A2????

Hi Mikey,

Welcome to A2OC and A2 ownership.

Our 7 month old daughter sits in a rear facing child seat in the back seat and I hadn't even given the side airbags a second thought.

I was of the opinion that the front airbag is dangerous due to the inflation speeds and potential suffocation only; though I could be wrong.

An interesting thread - see what the opinion of others is; seriously doubt that the side airbags pose such a danger though.

Cheers,

Darren

the rear sidebags shouldn't be a problem, though if it's a three-seater, i'd put them in the middle.

It *is* possible to deactivate the passenger side airbag, though i'm not sure it can be re-activated.
Looks in fact (reading the german forum again, sorry, i'm fluent) that it is possible to turn it off from the main Comfort Black Box. I don't have the precise info as to which channels need to be reset.

Looking into it in more detail:
- your warning light is simply from plus to pin 70 on the Airbag blackbox
- the switch goes from pin 81 on the same blackbox to ground.
Sorry, i can't find the channel info.

Bret

thanks guys...appreciate the info & input...collecting the car on saturday morning so will feedback how we go over the first couple of weeks....

thanks again:)

Hi mikey-boy
Its a simple job for an Audi dealer to deactivate the front passenger airbag so if you planned to permanently use the front seat for your daughter then that would be an option. Not sure if it is a legal requirement but there should be a sticker on display, warning passengers the airbag is deactivated. It's also a simple job to have it reset if you ever move the child seat to the back.

Cheers Spike

Go to airbag control modul with VAG-COM.
Adaption
Channel 1
0=passenger Airbag on
1=passenger Airbag off

I don't know if its legal in GB.

Thomas

As said above the airbag can be deactivated by a dealer -although I got charged 20quid for the privilege. I thought on later models it could be turned-off with a switch under the passenger side dash?

A2driver said:
I thought on later models it could be turned-off with a switch under the passenger side dash?

I think the passenger airbag de-activation switch was fitted as part of the front seat isofix option.

Someone will correct me though, I'm sure!!;)

ULP said:
To be honest, shove the pooing, puking, pissing machine in the back seats and everyone is happy :)

Thats no way to talk about our "better halves" after a night on the town!!:D

Back