17" sport tyre pressures?

manhattan$

Past Member
The ride on my car is a bit on the hard side due to the 17" sport wheels and sports suspension. :(
Has anyone here tried messing about with different tyre pressures to get a decent or more comfortable ride?

I will probably let a tiny bit of air out on each tyre tomorrow at the local air machine, to see if that offers an slight improvement.

Cheers,

Paul. :)

Be very careful as to what you do - to much could make the thin tyre too squidgy and every single lump, bump and stone will be transmitted to your spine!

Also, the original 9 spoke wheels are prone to buckling anyway and a lower pressure would only increase the chances of this happening.

Cheers,

Mike

What is the recommended tyre pressure on 17" rims ....?
My fuel filler flap (helpfully) does not mention the tyre and wheel combination fitted to the car!

TIA.

Alan

alanb said:
What is the recommended tyre pressure on 17" rims ....?
My fuel filler flap (helpfully) does not mention the tyre and wheel combination fitted to the car!

TIA.

Alan
I've always put 35PSI in Tanks tyres, front and rear, which seems to be a good compromise between comfort and grip.

Cheers,

Mike

Paul,

I am running after market 17" rims and have resorted to 32psi all round.

The tyres appear to be wearing evenly and the comfort levels with standard non-sport suspension is fairly well balanced with that of the level of grip offered.

I acknowledge Mike's comments on standard sport rims though, and would recommend that the higher 35psi figure would probably reduce the likelihood of deformation to the softer alloy composite.

At the end of the day, I guess it is "trial and error" and what may suit certain rims and owners, may not suit others. :confused:

Cheers,

Darren

32 all round works for me with 17s on SE suspension, make sure that you aren't relying on a petrol station pressure gauge as they can be out by a mile.

Back