Econ button

I

imology

Probably a really dumb question

But just bought an A2 and wondered what the econ button does? I assumed when pressed this gives you better fuel consumption but at the cost of less power? is this correct ? or does it have nothing to do with fuel ecomony at all and i'm just a Tube ?

cheers

Only the 1.2 TDI (3litres) has the Eco button original. If Eco mode is on: This will allow the engine to shut off when standing at the traffic lights and start automaticly when pushing the speed pedal. And you only have 45 bHP not 61. Climate control will only work in non -eco-mode, I think.
But my 1.4 petrol hase the eco button as well. But this is custom and is the speed control in a simple version. Just push for speed control and release while pressing the brake or clutch paddel.

imology said:
Probably a really dumb question

But just bought an A2 and wondered what the econ button does? I assumed when pressed this gives you better fuel consumption but at the cost of less power? is this correct ? or does it have nothing to do with fuel ecomony at all and i'm just a Tube ?

cheers

The econ button basically turns off or disengages the air conditioning compressor which is quite power hungry, hence the term econ! on an A2 in my experience it can gain up to 5mpg but cars differ, the money saved is not really worth it as you need to regularly run your air con to keep the seals etc in good condition, the fuel saved would not in my opinion pay for any repair that may be required due to seals etc drying out and leaking, in other words keep it switched on.

cheers

Mike

Only reason I ever turn mine off is when the aircon has been on so long my contact lenses dry out and stick to my eyelids!!

Diesels without air con (such as mine) also have an econ button. The car has an extra heater for cold weather, presumably because the engine takes a while to warm up. Using the econ button disables this heater.

Dev said:
Diesels without air con (such as mine) also have an econ button. The car has an extra heater for cold weather, presumably because the engine takes a while to warm up. Using the econ button disables this heater.
This heater (Webasto) was dropped on later diesel models.

It actually acts as a mini boiler, burning diesel fuel to produce the heat needed for a quick warm-up.

Cheers,

Mike

Ups, its about the Econ button, not the Eco button, as I thought :D

I think the 1.2 TDi has not been sold in the UK normaly.

To answer a few ppls question...

I dont think my a2 has the climate control as i dont have any wee LCD screen, i just have the usual 3 big heater knobs that you turn and 3 buttons underneath one of which is the econ button.

So if the econ button is lit up I will get 5mpg more than when its not lit up is that right ?

finally how difficult a job would it be to upgrade to a climate control unit ? and the A4 looks like it has the same kind of unit does anyone know if an A4 unit would fit an A2 . . . here is one i found on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/audi-A4-clima...ryZ10372QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

thanks again guys this is a great site

Back