Fully Legal & MOT Ready

Skipton01

Admin Team
Well, I've finished the self-levelling retro-fit (not that it was ever a factory option for the A2) this afternoon, in between designing badges!

I;ve put a few pics below to show the front and rear sensors, along with the custom-made links (made from aluminium and secured with A4-grade stainless screws, washers and nylock nuts, to avoid inter-metallic corrosion), as well as a little grab from VAG-COM showing the read-outs of the controller.

With the MOT looming, it was either replace the HID kit with halogens, or fit headlamp washers and self-levelling to comply with the DOT regulations - predictably, I chose the latter, more difficult route!!

As there was never an option to have these from the factory, there were no mounting holes for the sensors, or brackets on the wishbones for the links.

I 'made' the mounting points by drilling the chassis and fitting original Audi compression-fit plugs, into which Audi 4.8mm self-tapping T25 bolts were screwed.

The wishbone brackets had to be welded to the front and rear arms, something I was a little hesitant in doing, due to huge currents flowing through the chassis!

Eventually, I decided to disconnect the RNS-E, engine ECU, comfort module and battery, then do the welding.

As you can see from the photos, my arc-welding skills aren't great, but the brackets are very secure!! I re-primed and re-painted the area around the brackets, to avoid corrosion issues (which is why the area looks blacker than the rest of the wishbone).

The front was tricky, due to having to fabricate a bracket that delicately threaded its way between the drop-link and the drive shaft and space is tight, as you can probably tell from the arch rubbing visible in the photo.

Anyway, after a quick calibration in VAG com, I am now fully legal and ready to face the wrath of the MOT inspector in October.

Cheers,

Mike
FrontLevelSensor01.jpg

RearLevelSensor01.jpg

LevelSensorVagCom.jpg

loos really good,

any pics of the unit itself??

The control unit itself is just a black box with a label on it and a 20-pin connector on one edge.

I have put it in the passenger footwell compartment, as most of the connections are sourced from the connectors behind the lower A pillar trim there.

Basically, there are 3 wires from each sensor, a connection to the headlight motors (the original thumbwheel adjuster is now disconnected), a speed connection, a K-line connection, a couple of earths and a couple of power feeds.

Cheers,

Mike

Another top mod!! Any picts of the bi-xenon and projector lense?

They're not fitted at the moment (I'm waiting on a wiring harness from the USA), but I'll put up a photo or 2 of the loose projectors tonight.

Cheers,

Mike

Mike, I'd be ever so grateful if you could let me have the wiring diagram / layout you used so I can have a dable with the A4
Mike

Mike, I'd be ever so grateful if you could let me have the wiring diagram / layout you used so I can have a dable with the A4
Mike

Mike,

PM me your VIN, engine and chassis numbers and I'll get you the details of parts needed and wiring.

Cheers,

Mike

So you plannin to fit these into your existing lamps eh?! Should be a gud un specially with those daytime running lights, saw a A5 other day with em on, looked frikkin awsome!!! (Head almost fell off due to rubber necking)

Back