Removing rear shocks

zoddas

I'm going to replace my rear shock absorbers.
First I removed the boot interior, but just couldn't find the top nuts to the shock absorbers. Do anyone know the procedure for removing the rear shocks?

Jack up the car and remove the rear wheels.

Undo the 2 torx screws, 1 at either side of the damper, which hold the arch liner in place.

This will allow you to pull apart the arch liner to access the 2 nuts at the top of the damper - they are only accessible from the outside.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi zoddas
You need to remove the plastic wheel arch liners for access to the shock top mountings.
The liners are held in place by screws and several large head plastic 'rivets'. Push the centre pin of the rivet in 4 or 5mm to unlock them. This allows them to be prised out using a flat blade screwdriver under the head. If the centre pins are pushed in too far they drop out the back and are easily lost.

Cheers Spike

Just spotted Skipton's reply. It's certainly worth trying to do the job by just loosening each liner but if like me you find it difficult then it does not take too long to completely remove them.
Take care when refitting the shocks as the two top mounting bolts are very easy to cross thread.

Last edited:
Spike, you actually don't need to remove the liner, just pull the flaps apart - that's how the 'Backstreet Boys' at Stealth do it - saves a load of hassel.

Cheers,

Mike

Mike, your right, Robin gave me similar instructions for fitting Koni FSD's and I did make a half hearted attempt to access the top shocker mounts the way you suggested. At the time I was nervous about cracking the liners and did not really know what I was looking for. The attached photos show the rear wheel arch with the liner removed plus standard and FSD shocks and may help others understand the area they need to get at, knowing it can be done without completely removing the liner
Note the knackered bump stop (dark coloured one)

Cheers Spike

As long as you've a decent socket extension bar (about a foot is good), then you're fine to just bend back the liner - unless it is freezing cold, you'll not crack it.

Good photos by the way.

Cheers,

Mike

Then my new shocks are installed. It was actually an easy job when you guys informed me it all was accessed from the outside.
For me it seemed natural to remove the liner completely. Not much more work and you get a lot better access and view of the area.
As you said the center pin of the plastic rivet are easily lost if you push it in too far. Lost two of mine..... Apart form that everything went well.

Thanks again.

I would need a favour. Can somebody please mark on the above picture which of the parts are these:
Arch
liner
Flaps
socket extension bar
I tried with google translate, but no luck :(. Thx.

Back