reversing lights

knocker

got home tonight to find my reversing lights have stopped working
i dought it would be both bulbs so it looks like the switch
so my question is can i do it myself .and how much is the switch
any help would be great
thanks simon

The reverse switch is located towards the bottom of the engine and gearbox and although I've not done it myself, I have had mine replaced, when it failed last year. Can't see it being a massive job, you'll have to remove the undertray though, so axel stands are a must.

There are 2 parts available, depending on engine code, but both are £9.00 (well, one's actually £9.07!).

Let me know your engine code and I'll let you know the correct part number.

Cheers,

Mike

is the engine code in my service book
is there any way i can find out it is a faulty switch
with out moving the under tray

Last edited:
The engine code is on the data sticker on the inside front cover of the service booklet.

Without a scan, it'll be tricky to diagnose, but if the bulbs are good and the fuse is good, then it can really only be the switch and as it's in an slightly exposed position, it's quite likely.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Knocker
Not sure if you have the same gearbox but on my 2001 TDi the reverse light switch is accessible from above. It is on the side of the gearchange casting - the bit where the cables go to, and points diagonally towards the passenger side headlamp.
The hexagonal body of the switch is to the left of the light coloured counterweight and is just visible on the attached photo

Cheers Spike

would the code be BHC

To quote Scooby Doo, "Could Be!".

If your A2 is a diesel and late 2004 onwards, then, yes, that ties in.

The part number is 02K 945 415G and it is the cheaper of the switches at £9.00 inc VAT.

Cheers,

Mike

To quote Scooby Doo, "Could Be!".

If your A2 is a diesel and late 2004 onwards, then, yes, that ties in.

The part number is 02K 945 415G and it is the cheaper of the switches at £9.00 inc VAT.

Cheers,

Mike

yes its the diesel but it oct 03 53 plate
BHC is in my book

Told you!

So now you now, although you have a 2003 registered car, it's actually a 2004 model year car and also, it's EU4 compliant, so will be eligable for the free congestion charge, if/when it happens next year.

Cheers,

Mike

hope it is the 04 model that means its the 90 bhp does it
my book says 55 kw that 75 bhp
no red i on the back

hope it is the 04 model that means its the 90 bhp does it
my book says 55 kw that 75 bhp
no red i on the back

Just because it's an 04 doesn't mean it's automatically a 90PS - that is reserved for the ATL engine coded cars. Sorry!

Cheers,

Mike

thanks for your help
problem now sorted
looks like at some stage in the a2s life
it has had a mouse friend
chewed the insulation and some wires
all is well now .....touch wood

A very old thread but thoguht i`d add to it rather than start a new one.

I`ve got a Dec 2002 1.6 FSI. What is the part number of the Reverse switch that I require?

Thanks

Back