STARTING PROBLEM - 1.4 Petrol

02Paul

A2OC Donor
Hi Everyone. This starting problem has had me baffled for quite a while. When starting from cold everything is fine, apart from being a bit abrupt. However, a typical journey into town stopping and restarting at approximately four places can lead to the engine firing once and then cutting out. this can be repeated for up to thirty times before the engine will fire and run as normal. The 'Check engine light' and 'EPC' symbols can illuminate. (off at the moment). I'm hoping someone else has experienced this as my usual mechanic has run out of ideas and I don't like the idea of my local Audi dealer charging me £100 an hour plus vat to start looking into the problem.

Many thanks.

Regards.

Paul.

Hi Everyone. This starting problem has had me baffled for quite a while. When starting from cold everything is fine, apart from being a bit abrupt. However, a typical journey into town stopping and restarting at approximately four places can lead to the engine firing once and then cutting out. this can be repeated for up to thirty times before the engine will fire and run as normal. The 'Check engine light' and 'EPC' symbols can illuminate. (off at the moment). I'm hoping someone else has experienced this as my usual mechanic has run out of ideas and I don't like the idea of my local Audi dealer charging me £100 an hour plus vat to start looking into the problem.

Many thanks.

Regards.

Paul.

Get it Vag Com Scanned mate, if you were closer I'd do it for you.
Could it be a the immobiliser coil around the key barrel?

Sarge

Last edited by a moderator:
I have exactly the same problem. Morning starts fine. A start say after a quick run and 20 min. stop and the engine turns over but does't catch.
Sometimes sorted by pumping the accelerator on turning the key but more often needs 5 to 10 mins to try again.

When was it last serviced?, have you gone through changing the plugs etc.. I no its not the same but my old 2 stroke ped use to do that, when starting it from cold even in the winter it was fine but get it warm and it was a pig to start, on the 2 stroke engine it just use to evaparate the fuel until you kicked it enough to get it started.
may be worth checking them plugs

Cheers Phil

Starting problem 1.4 petrol

Firstly, thanks for all the responces to my starting problem, they are much appreciated and I will share any information as soon as I solve this anoying problem. I believe the fuel relay is with the main fuses. If it is not, can someone else advise?

Regards.

Paul.

Firstly, thanks for all the responces to my starting problem, they are much appreciated and I will share any information as soon as I solve this anoying problem. I believe the fuel relay is with the main fuses. If it is not, can someone else advise?

Regards.

Paul.

Off the top of my head I think the fuel relay is under the passenger footwell labeled '612'

Will check that and get back to you if no one else does.

SARGE

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I'm thinking of buying a new MAP sensor - but as expensive as they are - I want to be sure..... I'm open for cheaper solutions ;)

Hmm.. It must be something with temperature as well. In the repair manual it says: "intake manifold pressure sender (G71?) with temperature sender (G61?)..." Are they really combined into one sensor/sender? If this is the case it could explain why I/(some of us) only have problems when the engine temperature is about 70C. (90C is normal - 60 C low). Just some thoughts;)

-P-

Agree with Bret, check the fuel relay first. I had similar problems with a then new Leon Cupra. After many AA call outs (the car always started when they turned up!) and almost losing entire faith with the car, the problem was found to be a loose fuel relay that somehow lost its contact when the engine was hot.

fuel relay is passenger side, labelled 612.

Bret

Thanks, Just checked the fuse, and it looks fine to me. Hard to say if the driving was any different afterwards. The engine revs is still late to go down, or even revs up during gear shifts (when i push the clutch pedal). Could it be a related problem?

appreciate all replies:)

-P-

Out of ideas....

Changed the MAP sensor yesterday. The engine management light came on again today. same fault.

17559 - Long Term Fuel Trim Additive Air Bank 1: Range 1: System too Lean
P1151 - 35-00 - -

Any advise on what would be the next appropriate thing to check?

-P-

I have exactly the same problem. Starts fine cold. But go for a drive, then stop, and when you come back to restart it's no good. Turns over, but the engine won't fire. Keep trying and maybe get lucky...otherwise go away and come back two hours later. Interestingly, it has push started once or twice in this situation. Driving me mad, because when it starts OK it purrs into life, but when it won't start, it's maddening. It's clearly the same problem as other people have described, has anyone managed to pinpoint what it is?

Hi, My next step is changing the NOX-sensors. Believe there are two lambda sensors that need replacement.

-P-

Hi there, im new to ths site and have what sounds like the exact same problem with my 2002 1.4 petrol A2.

Has anyone tried/ thought about replacing the crankshaft sensor?

Im thinking of trying this soon, just awaiting some feedback from the helpful guys on here. Will keep you posted.

Hi Terry
If you can provide your engine code (Could be AUA) I'll try and find some info on changing the crank speed sensor. I'd also consider checking the coolant and air intake temp sensors as they can often mis-read without flagging up fault codes

Cheers Spike

Back