Front Bumper Removal

Skipton01

Admin Team
Below is an exploded diagram, showing the fixings for the front bumper, as requested by Shezlee.

Fingers crossed that the lock carrier is not broken.

Cheers,

Mike

Thank you

I got around to removing the front end so I could see the damage.

but there wasn't any and all she needed was 3 'C' clips and 3 screws to hold the bumper and the under tray in place.

OK the bumper and tray are scratched but its all underneath so you can't see it.

so a job that was quoted over £600 to repair only cost £6.

That's excellent news! So there is nothing on the lock carrier at all? My undertray fixings at the front are probably as bad as yours by the sound of it!

Cheers,

Mike

To break the lock carrier you really need to impact something whereby putting a shear force through it but fortunatly I had only ripped out the 3 main screws from the metal 'C' clips that hold the bumper to the under tray so very lucky.

That picture was a great help.

If anyone is thinking its just a few screws please think again without them the under tray can and will drop and hit the ground when traveling at motorway speeds, its not a pleasent sound...

Hi

My front bumper is loose on one side it seems to missing one of the part number 4 in Mikes diagram.

Does anybody know what these are called or could give me a part number for these?

Thanks, Mark

part number 4 is one of four plastic self taping rivets that holds the mid top portion to the small aluminium bar (no. 3 in the diagram). They hold the shape of the bumper but not really give much support, if you are missing any one of the 4 rivets, you can see the holes on the bumper are much larger than the holes on the aluminium bar. If your bumper is loose on one side, I suspect you've identified the wrong missing part. It depends on exactly where it is loose and how loose, I suspect it is one of the 5 torx screws (no. 7 in the diagram) or more suspect, the mounting bracket where the screws goes on to.

Thanks for that I'll have a closer look, it just seemed coincidental that the
Bumper moved half an inch on the side where that plastic self tappers is missing

Is it possible to remove the front bumper by turning the wheels in alternate directions and freeing the wheel arch liner?
Or is it only possible to access the mounts with the bumper fully removed?
I bought a trolly jack and have lifted the front end before but it seems not to reach deep enough to get the circular jack point easily.
Do I need a low profile jack or a longer than usual jack?
I want to remove the front bumper and fix some scratches and a few cracks.

John

Hi John,

Just a pretty normal trolley jack will do, as the jacking points are only around 150mm in from the sills. You'll need a couple of axel stands too to keep the front up whilst the wheels are off. I wouldn't recommend trying by just turning the wheels, as there's 3 screws per side that need undoing to release the bumper and these are almost impossible to get back in anyway, so with a wheel in the way, you'll really struggle

Hi,

I am trying to remove the bumper on my A2 1.2Tdi and find that the wheel well liner is attached to the underbody liner.
Should it be removable in isolation. Also I am unable see any support points for jack stands.
And the front of the bumper at the bottom is also attached to the underbody lining.
Can the the point for the jackstand be seen in the attached image?

DSC07126.jpg

John

You can just about see it in the rather out of focus picture ;-) I put my axle stands under the subframe knuckles. It is where the wishbone mounts to it, in your picture, the round end left to the anti roll bar, right of your red trolley jack.

As for the undertray, there are couple of screws you need to undo to release the lower section of the wheel arch liner. And you'll need to undo the front screws attached to the bumper, which by then you've almost undone the entire under tray anyway ;-)

I had put the car down before i checked the focus... The camera was last used for northernlights and so had the autofocus disabled.
I will put in the axel stands and then try to remove the bumper again.
Is there a trick to the top spreader rivets as the centers of them do not seem to sink.
I have ordered some new spreader rivets and screws to replace those coming out and have a new under tray that can go on as the old one is rather tatty.

Cheers for the advice!

John

Is there a trick to the top spreader rivets as the centers of them do not seem to sink....

hmm, WD40? If not, don't be afraid to use force or a punch, the worse you can do is push them all the way through. If the pin falls through, it will be collected by the small hollow aluminium bar and you can easily remove it to collect the pins.

Are the front screws insode the bottom black grill?
I can not find anthing directly underneath the car.

I found the screw holes for the front 3 screws. All 3 were missing. The underbody tray was largely held on by magic.
I have also removed the screws from both wings where they join the bumper and freed the rivets using WD40 but the bumper still does not move.
The underneath screws on the arch lining were also missing.
The bumper feels stuck to the wheel arches.
Any ideas of how to remove it?

I have looked at the other threads and found the clip under/behind the headlights but the bumper still does not want to move...

John

It was the aluminium slot clips being full of dirt that caused the issues.
Lots of WD40 and a bit of effort and it is off!
Now all I ned to do is clean it up, put on the new horn and put it back together again!

Thanks for the useful tips!

John

Im sure there are another 3 screws to remove, once the arch liners are out, which secure the front bumper to the wing panel

John

Last edited:
There seemed to be more screws than in the illustration.
It is off now and has been filled sanded and is now being primed again. I hope I do the paintwork justice.
I will also change the horn and install some LED DRLs whilst it is off.
I was concerned that the cracks in the bumper were deep but they were all very superficial.
I am relieved to have it off and get this done!

John

Back